Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOH !!!Computer question,,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Aug 24, 2005.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Yeah,,,looks like I really screwed up,,, :doah: :doah:

Went to upgrade my Windows 2k Pro to XP Pro last night,, :D

and instead of overwriting the 2K ,,,I must have installed it in a seperate partition on the hard drive. Now when the computer boots,it asks me which operating system I would like to run 2K or XP.

The XP looks like safe mode and the 2K seems to work OK except I can't open my outlook express,

Am I totally screwed ??

Can you delete an operating system ? ( XP )

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

u can leave it, but deleating a op system? not without screwing sumthin. get all the stuff u want to keep on another drive(or other storage device) the format whole drive and reload. will be way better and a WHOLE lot easier

3. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if u were a puter nerd ther is other ways- but since u are asking i take it ure not so wont bother

4. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree with Roz...Nothing beats a fresh reformat and install. If you have a CD burner, I'd put everything you want to keep on a disc (or 2 or 3 or 4 :D ).
    Reformat, install the new OS, and put all your stuff from the CD's you made back onto the the hard drive. Wouldnt hurt to run a defrag after you get everything installed.

5. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yup, a fresh format and clean install is great. If that's not how you want to go, I remember one time I installed a different OS and had something similar happen. Under the add/remove programs though I had the option to uninstall the newest OS installation. Have you checked? I don't recall if it was under the new or the old install, but check them both.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Many new computers come partitioned with a C: drive as the primary and a D: drive as a recovery drive. What drive did you install XP on? If you installed it on the C: drive, but not on the D: drive, then you should be able to go into XP and set up the D: drive as a recovery drive for XP, or install XP on the D: drive as well. Or, maybe you accidently installed XP on the D: drive. If so, you can uninstall it from the D: drive and then go back and do another install but on the C: drive this time. But, I would agree with the others that the cleanest is to save your files on a CD or other media and then re-format the entire hard drive.

7. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Go to start bar, then run and type "msconfig", click OK, click on "boot.ini" tab and remove the 2K line from "operating systems section, click ok. On next reboot it should be only the XP version.