Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doh! Didn't drain the coolant system before head job now....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rafterman191, Nov 27, 2006.

1. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

I have alot of coolant in my oil. What is the best way to stabilize it? Change the oil a bunch? Or do I need to drop the pan and go from there? Use an additive? Buy a Yugo?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dilema!...

They used to sell a nitrocellulose based solution to neutralize anti-freeze that got into a crankcase from a bad head gasket,etc,but I havent seen any in years..I'd just drain the oil,and blow compressed air in the open areas of the block and try to force as much of the coolant out thru the drain plug as possible...then change the oil and filter again,after running it for a half hour or so..wont hurt to schedule the next oil change sooner than usual too,I'd say 1000 miles or so..

It takes awhile for prestone to attack the bearings ,usually running the engine with leaking head gaskets eventually causes main or rod bearing failure..I usually swap in another engine on a vehicle that had prestone in the crank case any length of time,otherwise the customer usually returns a week or two later with a rapping or blown motor after changing the head gaskets in the vehicle--in most cases a worse job than putting a whole motor in!..:doah:

You may find that special "engine flush" to remove and neutralize coolant at an old parts store or NAPA that has "old stock" kicking around..ordinary "engine flush" used when you change the oil is mostly kerosene or diesel fuel,wont help much to remove coolant..and might loosen sludge deposits and cause more harm than good!...:crazy:

3. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

I drained, changed, ran for about 15 mins, drained and changed again. I am going to change it again in a couple hundred miles or so.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Sound like a good method, Im sure youll be fine after all those oil changes. I think that what little water that may be in there should just burn off as the oil in the motor heats up.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

in all of the times installing new intakes/untake gaskets, swapping heads/head gaskets, i have never once done anything more than change the oil and oil filter, and havent had a failuer yet that couldx be traced back to this.