Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doh, Obama....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Mar 2, 2007.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

WASHINGTON // Many people know that Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's father was from Kenya and his mother from Kansas.

But an intriguing sliver of his family history has received almost no attention until now: It appears that forebears of his white mother owned slaves, according to genealogical research and census records

According to the research, one of Obama's great-great-great-great grandfathers, George Washington Overall, owned two slaves who were recorded in the 1850 census in Nelson County, Ky. The same records show that one of Obama's great-great-great-great-great-grandmothers, Mary Duvall, also owned two slaves.

The Sun retraced much of Reitwiesner's work, using census information available on the Web site ancestry.com and documents retrieved by the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, among other sources. The records show that Overall, then 30, owned a 15-year-old black female and a 25-year-old black male, while Mary Duvall, his mother-in-law, owned a 60-year-old black man and a 58-year-old black woman. (Slaves are listed in the 1850 census by owner, age, "sex," and "colour," not by name.)

An Obama spokesman did not dispute the information and said that the senator's ancestors "are representative of America."

"While a relative owned slaves, another fought for the Union in the Civil War," (one has nothing to do with the other, but OK)campaign spokesman Bill Burton said last night. "And it is a true measure of progress that the descendant of a slave owner would come to marry a student from Kenya and produce a son who would grow up to be a candidate for president of the United States." (I know, heartwarming ain't it?)

"If you have a white Southern mother, or a mother from the middle states who has ancestry in the South, it doesn't strike me that that should be very surprising," he said. While the majority of such families did not own slaves, many with some wealth did, Roberts said. (yeah, actually slaveowners were a tiny minority)

Anyway, I couldn't care less who owned slaves but this is going to make for a fun media sheetstorm.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

everyone has a great great something that was a ****-up... you'd just have to dig long enough to find them. Criminals and other evil scum are gonna be in the family tree somewhere... for everyone. That said, last time I checked, one of the great American ideals is that we judge each person individually... and don't put much stock in who/what your father was.

j

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I agree fully. And I must be psychic, I knew that you would be the first to respond to this one and the Hillary thread.:wink1:

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Sometimes, you might not want to put much stock into who your offspring are ...just ask George 41.....:haha:

6. jekbrown

i think if my son got good degrees from good schools... went on to make bank in the biz world, became governor of the state and then 2-term President... I'd put a lot of "stock" in them...

j

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Hey Jek,,

notice the :haha: !!! ;)

I voted for him twice !!!

you gotta admit though,,,he's made more comedy bits than any other president so far !!!

8. jekbrown

I don't know... LBJ liked to whip out his...uhh... johnson for all to see on occassion...

http://www.badattitudes.com/Organ.html

these days, all presidents are so coached, coddled and forced to try to be PC 24 hours a day that we don't get hardly any drama/comedy.

j

9. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Did you guys all hear about the story of how some of Al Sharptons relatives were slves of Strom Thurman? Crazy coincidence.

10. mr.smartass

You forgot the: :rolleyes:

11. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

No seriously. It's true.

12. mr.smartass

Oh I believe it's true, just that I don't think it's that big of a coincidence...

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I know, I watched that asshat showboating at the press conference about it. Now old Reverend Douchebag wants to meet his "relatives" in the Thurmond family. I fuggin hate that guy so much.

14. mr.smartass

I think I'm gonna give myself the title of Reverend... apparently there is no qualifications... Well except being a racist asshat, but I could probably pull that off if I had to.

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've got an exmember here that I can refer you to if you need help in the racist dept.:doah:

16. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Is it considered being "related" when you were previously owned by someone?

17. mr.smartass

:haha: Yeah I was around while that was going down... He could be my hook up and my racist Tutor, maybe I'll get a discount on the package deal. :rolleyes:

18. mr.smartass

Like 2nd slave once removed or something? Awkward family reunions after the civil war though...

19. jekbrown

less-than-30-posts-to-15k-pad.

j

20. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

IMHO, I think it coincidental when a civil rights activist's (to certain circles) relatives are actually related to someone who was owned by the family of a Politician whose main agenda was segregation.