Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOh surface rust, need a lil help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Oct 14, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all found this on the roof last night. Im going to take a DA sander with some 80 grit and finish it with 180 perhaps. Is there a good rattle can primer I could use along with paint. this is a temp fix till I can get it painted .
    Thanks for any help

rust.jpg

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

just sand it and maybe put a little ospho on it (a green rust converting chemical) then sand that a little and prime it with some rattle can duplicolor or other quality automotive primer...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

80 seems a bit rough for that to me. the metal isn't thick up there, I use whatever I can that JUST takes the paint and rust off in that area. Anywhere I catch surface rust, I hit it with something like 120, then use whatever krylon I've got lying around. (usually semi-flat black) Also just to get me buy until paintjob is next on the list of things to do.

Nothing you get is going to match worth squat, the important thing is to stop it before it gets too bad.

4. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

lol ya im no painter so Im not to worried about it blending or even being the same red. Just want to protect the metal