Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doh!!! Why didn't I leave it alone

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Sep 22, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Doh!!! Why didn\'t I leave it alone

My truck was starting fine and running decent, with a slight lope due to vacuum leak from the carb but reliable. Last Saturday I pulled the distibutor cap off my truck to check the condition of it. Pulled all the wires off without checking where they went. I know how the go 1-8 right. So the cap has carbon tracks on it. Okay so it needs to be replaced. Put it back on to go get the part and put all the wires back where they SHOULD go. Go to turn the key and nothing no power whats so ever. Hmmm, check the batt terminal on the coil, and it was loose. Turn the key and have power but the truck wont start. Cranks just wont fire. Kinda sputters like it is trying to but the timing is way off and it backfires through the carb. Try several times and same result. I even rechecked the wires and started #1 both one terminal before and after where it is supposed to be. Even worse. Took the carb off for a rebuild which was what I went to do in the first place. Figure I'll get the cap and rotor on Monday and start fresh. Rebuild the carb quickly just trying to clean it up and figure out where it is leaking from. It still leaks just the same, so okay lets try to get the thing to start and figure out that part at least. Same result as before backfiring this time through the carb slightly and through the pipes. The engine wont fire for more than a second or two at a time and shakes so bad it looks like it will jump out of the truck like on those Penzoil commercials. I try again starting the firing sequence one terminal before and one after. The best result is in the position where #1 should be but it shakes like crazy and backfires and dies almost as soon as it starts and takes a while to start. The only thing I can imagine now is that the dist is way off and the best thing to do is pull the valve cover and dist and try to reset it for #1TDC. An I missing anything simple. Do I somehow have the firing order mixed up? Per haynes it is 12345678. Could the dist be 180 or somewhere in between out. Why did I have to mess with it in the first place and why didn't I mark the wire locations? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Doh!!! Why didn\'t I leave it alone

it should be 18436572

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem a few months ago. Seemed like my plug wires were all messed up but turned out to be the coil and cap. Good thing to do to mark the wires is use those bread clips and put on both ends of the wires with the cylinder number to prevent this from happening again. Not bread ties but the rectangle ones that are usually found on buns and such.

James

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

It's on the front of your intake manifold too.
    You can find TDC without removing the valve covers, just move it to the top of the compression stroke by putting your finger in the #1 cylendar.
    Removing the dizzy cap shouldn't have messed up the rotor though.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    it should be 18436572

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif yep

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay now I feel totaly stupid! I must be dyslexic cause I totaly misread the book. Now if I could just figure out what happened to the electrical system. I get power about two out of twenty times truning the key. I checked the coil and fuses, battery connections and simply get nothing now. I was able to get it to fire the first time after getting the wires strait and the idle was racing so I shut it off to check and now nothing again. Errrr!! Could this be a bad coil or ignition module, or maybe the ignition switch. I know the voltage regulator in the alternator needs to be replaced. I accidentally drained the battery by leaving the lights on and when I had it tested it showed that the voltage regulator was bad. Thankfully the battery was under warranty so free replacement. Now where should I start on trying to figure out this electrical gremlin. This wasn't here before I took of the dist cap on Sat. I have looked at everything I can think of.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what else I should check?