Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOH!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinit, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Blazinit

Blazinit Registered Member

Ok. I hooked up the jumper cables backwards and now my truck won't start...imagine that. After charging it correctly, I am not able to get the ignition to engage, am able to get the dome lights to work, but the radio will not. I have checked the fuses and they all seem to be intact. I AM however able to hotwire the solenoid to turn it over...is my solenoid shot or is there something that I am overlooking....Please help...need to get back on the road!!!

'84 K5 Blazer 4"Rancho R/B w/Quad Diamond Back front 350/TH700r4/NP208/35" BFG AT/10 bolt F&R
    Washington, USA

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

<shaking head>
    Blew the fusible links out of the poor thing. They are located on the wires comming from the same terminal that the main battery cable connects to at on the starter. trace the wires back and you will find a molded plastic lump, a peice of wire and another lump. Thats the fusible link. they are fried. Dealer or parts store should stock it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. Blazinit

Grim, you are the man! I have the day off and I will take a look at it right now. Appreciate your help!!!

'84 K5 Blazer 4"Rancho R/B w/Quad Diamond Back front 350/TH700r4/NP208/35" BFG AT/10 bolt F&R
    Washington, USA

4. Blazinit

Grim, I checked it out and sure enough, the fusible link from the battery terminal to the fuse box was sizzled. I replaced it and everything is hunky dory. Has anyone replaced this fusible link before? On my 84, the wire runs into two terminal posts on the firewall and then the fusible link runs singly out of one of the posts, but then has a GM "adapter" and goes into two wires. I could not for the life of me find a connector from 1-2 wires. I spliced into the two and connected them to the terminal posts, then off of the wire that comes from the battery I put the fusible link into the terminal posts. This way if it ever blows again, I will only have to replace one splice! A little trick if anyone runs into this problem!

Washington, USA