Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 6, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Changed a rear axle shaft in my cruddy 10 bolt rear last week. Had everything working fine, then the truck started to wander a little in corners. I figured low tire pressure. I had a front one a little low so I filled it back up. Left my house for school and started to hear a noise like a bearing going out in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifWell I just replaced the carrier bearings when I changed out the shaft, so I couldn't figure why they'd go out again so quickly. Suddenly the left rear dropped, and I saW my left rear tire leaning out. I figured busted axle shaft. I learned a valuable lesson. If you don't bother to tighten those little nuts they call lugs, they tend to work their way off. Guess I'm inline for a Darwin award. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I did get one break, the wheel stayed on enough to hold up the drum. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Happens to the best of us. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good this nothing worse happened.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

bAWhahahahahaha. yeh ask grimmy how much a door on a ford ranger costs to fix. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you don't bother to tighten those little nuts they call lugs, they tend to work their way off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hehe, need another axleshaft?

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When I was 16, I had just finished a brake job on my CJ-5 with 35" Baja Claws. I left everything in the driveway (jack, lug wrench, everything) and decided to drive up to the 7-11for a soda and a test drive. About 1.5 miles from the house, I noticed I could see the front driver tire more than normal (nice to not have doors). I kept an eye on it and noticed it looked like it was wobbling. I stopped right there on the road and got out and checked it. The lugs had come loose!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I didn't risk anything and decided to walk home, get the lug wrench, and walk back to tighten everything!

Man was that a lesson that caused me some exercise but no financial pain! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Nope. Axle shafts are fine now. The wheel didn't come all the way off the rotor. Just came off the studs. The rotor rested down on the inside of the wheel. When I put in the one you sent me, I put in new carrier bearings. I've got another set of spider gears coming for it soon, and that's the last thing I'm doing to this axle until I "toss it over the hill". That was grandpa's saying for parts that aren't worth anything anymore. That's one of the reasons I like this site so much. I rebuilt it for less than 60 bucks. When I saw that wheel come off, I got a little excited thinking that now I'd be forced to finish the welding on the 14 bolt, because I wasn't putting any more money into that ten bolt. But it is still usable so I may as well get all I can out of it.

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I was driving my brother's el camino after he had done a brake job on it
    and I started feeling a wobble. Within seconds, the left front tire and
    wheel came off just as I was rounding a right hand curve. In the night,
    you can't see anything with all those sparks flying past the window! I
    ground to a hault 1/4 mile down the road and hithced a ride back to the
    house. On the ride back I saw a truck pulled off the road and asked
    the driver to stop. The wheel that came off had hit their truck. The
    windshield and cab were crushed in, the dash was in peices, a door was
    pinned shut, and worst of all there were 3 girl scouts and 2 ladies covered
    in blood from the shattered glass. No one was serriously injured though.
    Everyone's eyes and all still worked. But it did shatter the girls' weekend
    at the girl scout camp. And the brand new dodge ram was totaled out.
    The rotor was destroyed and the wheel that came off was fine, holding
    air and everything. New rotor and some insurance paperwork for the
    dodge and away we go!