Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doing a persuasive speech on land for 4wd vehicles

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by BillyBob, Mar 30, 2003.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Okay, here's the skinny on what's going on. I told my teacher that I was gonna do a speech on why state governments should set aside land for 4wd use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I need some ideas guys, or better yet, some info. I was gonan use Paragon as a good example, since the place rocks, and I've been there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I don't think they're owned by the state. Please help! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, here's the skinny on what's going on. I told my teacher that I was gonna do a speech on why state governments should set aside land for 4wd use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I need some ideas guys, or better yet, some info. I was gonan use Paragon as a good example, since the place rocks, and I've been there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I don't think they're owned by the state. Please help! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt' tellico owned by the state???????

check it out I think its tellico4x4.com then on the right hand side of that site, theres a link to the Off-road park..

Brandy

3. VirginiaBulldog

VirginiaBulldog Registered Member

The land paragon is on is rented/leased from the state i believe by the folks that are running paragon.

4. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

5. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

If your making an arguement for the use of 4wd vehicles you must concede the point that 1. most of these vehicles pollute more 2. that some modifications do cause damage to the environment 3. that damage to certain areas by these vehicles must be controlled or maintained by the individual groups.

Now that you've gotten all the objections out of the way look to the local clubs in your area and find out what type of volunteer work they do on the trails and what not and show that 1. 4 wheelers are active and do provide a general benefit to the community with policies like "tread lightly". 2. Show that just by being present in the wilderness humanity damages the environment...( i.e. it takes cars to get there, etc) 3. Argue that 4 wheelers share the same rights to access the lands and that since most groups are active participants in maintaining and using the lands that have been allocated to them, they are in essence more responsible than the general citizen that use public lands(we also generally pay a fee in georgia to use our trails too)

Finally, just flat tell folks that there must be a middle ground in the arguement. Trails do get closed and reopened to allow forest lands to regrow and many wheelers are using more fuel efficient vehicles now...i.e. nissans, toyotas, suzuki's etc.

hope that might give you an idea. give'um hell!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget that a vehicle is the only way someone with physical challenges can get into and enjoy the wilderness areas. To close those areas to motorized traffic is to deny access to those that are not able bodied. That would be the elderly, the young, the disabled etc etc. All these people deserve to be able to enjoy these areas as well.

As for modifications that damage the environment, many look to be harmful but in fact do more to limit soil erosion...such as aggressive tires. More traction equals less wheelspin and the resulting erosion.

Many clubs do trail maintainance and clean ups. We do not discriminate between hiker trash, wheeler trash or mountain biker trash. It all gets picked up.

Rene

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah...make sure to include all the points, pros and cons so that both sides of the argument are there...make sure to point out that without the trails that people could be out terrorizing land that is not set aside and could be damaging the environment...more reason to dedicate land is to save land..

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

howd the speech go???