Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doing a sm465 swap, what do i need??? Help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, May 2, 2004.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

Ok my tranny on my truck is almost done for. I got a 1990 jimmy with 350/700/241. I really dont want to put another 700r4 in becasue it costs alot and i hate having auto, so im going to put in a sm465 in. When i go get one at the junk yard, what should i look for? How can i tell if its good or not? Should i keep my 241 or should i just pull the one that is going to be with the sm465? How much should i pay? What other parts should i take that is going to be needed. Anyone who has done this swap please tell me the little things i need and what problems i might run into. Until then ill keep doing searches, thanks in advance.
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

A hydraulic clutch set up will be the easiest to retrofit (year model '85 and up). But what ever setup you do run you'll need the pedal bracket and pedals (along with the linkage for the mechanical setup... oh yea, and the pivot boss that attaches to the frame), bell housing, and if you get a 205 t-case w/o slip yoke (a plus), get the drive shaft also. If you run the hydraulic clutch, I wouldn't bother with the donor's clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder unless it looks like it’s in really good shape, but make sure you get the pressure line that connects the two. Brand new I think master and slave cylinders run $50 and $40, respectively, from Advance Auto. If the donor comes w/ a 205, I'd get the t-case as well (provided the price is right). If all you can come up w/ is the tranny, you can get all the hardware (pedals and pedal brackets) from the dealer for about $200. And if you get a tranny from a truck with mechanical linkage but want to run the hydraulic setup you'll need a bell housing from an 85' and up setup.

I did this setup on my '88 about 5 years ago and it wasn’t difficult and worked out pretty well, but I missed the auto.

Let me know if you need any more info…

3. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

thanks alot

4. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I would check around for someone on here that has everything you need. I bought complete setup from a fellow ck5er and it made it a lot easier than trying to find all the pieces myself. Keep in mind your rear driveshaft will have to be longer than with a automatic , so unless you are lucky and can find one out of blazer(I couldn't find one ) you will have to have one lengthened. IF you happen upon a donor vehicle in a junkyard and can get the manual collumn I would do that also. Since you will have to remove the collum to install the pedals you might as well change it at the same time. Vince

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A donor truck !!! It'll have all the parts you need and you can see how and where everything go's. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif