Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doing axel swap(not typical Q)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jun 23, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

so i'm going from 3:42's to 4:10's.i was told it's the next best thing to an engine swap?is that true?i hope so!i'm looking forward to lower gears and 14ff/d44 3/4t.gear.coming in July! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifNAPA#447 CONVERSION JOINT,right.hey'what about brake lines?should i change those,too?i'm currently 1/2t.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i think you should change them regardless if they will fit the new axel, bradied and longer is the eway to go, it will allow room for more flex and should you go with a bigger(or Better) lift you will already have it done, Build for the future

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I actually did that same swap. Realy wasnt a dramatic difference infact for the first couple days i only suspected somthing was different bcasue my speedo was different and it wound out higher than normal on the freeway.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

WELLLL you want to make atleast a 15% chance to notice anything. I remember when I regeared a Blazer at work to 4.56, that thing felt like it had a big block in it! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I went from 3.42 gear ratio and 28" tires, to 4.56's and 37's, so I cant really compare the difference. I do know that my truck will move pretty good from a dead stop. Quite a bit quicker than a truck with those size tires should. It definitely surprises people I pull up next to a lights sometimes. I can say that I felt my brothers truck go from 3.08's to 3.73's and noticed a big power difference. Other than just on the street, his 4wd low range increased dramatically. Anyways, I would say that you will notice a signifigant difference in power. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW What size tires are you running?
    -Harrison

6. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I went from 3.42's to 4.10's in my tow rig with 285's on it and it was night and day difference. Tows trailer much better, and is still lower than stock gear ratio was (ie speedo reads high now as compared to stock truck). Definitely a very good mod.

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i was told it's the next best thing to an engine swap?is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my opinion that an engine swap to correct the problem of not having enough rear wheel HP due to an improper gear/tire size problem isn't anywhere close to "best", all it will do is over-stress everything from the flywheel to the differential. If you have the right ratio for your tires, then add engine.

8. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I went from 3.42 gear ratio and 28" tires, to 4.56's and 37's, so I cant really compare the difference. I do know that my truck will move pretty good from a dead stop. Quite a bit quicker than a truck with those size tires should. It definitely surprises people I pull up next to a lights sometimes. I can say that I felt my brothers truck go from 3.08's to 3.73's and noticed a big power difference. Other than just on the street, his 4wd low range increased dramatically. Anyways, I would say that you will notice a signifigant difference in power. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    BTW What size tires are you running?
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ] 3.42's w/31-10.5-15.i'm really looking forward to the swap.alot closer now that i've got the 15" 8 luggers($75/4 w/31-10.5 and 75% tread)now all that is needed is brakelines n' u-joints.i think the swap will bring it to life.