Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doing clutch. Pull engine, or pull tranny & transfer case?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Started replacing the clutch in my 71 today. Both Chiltons and Haynes tell me to pull the tranny and transfer case to replace the clutch. A guy in the other forum is suggesting pulling the enging instead because it is easier. What's everyone's opinion? I'd have to rent a transmission jack if I do it that way.
    Thanks,
    -Tim

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Pulling the trans and 205 isn't that bad.No where near as involved as pulling an eng.
    It's a little aukward (spelling?) but that's it.
    I did it by myself and my floor jack.I'm sure if you had a friend to help it would be ALOT quicker.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    SMARTASS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Don't use a tranny jack...use a engine hoist. You can unbolt the tranny hump and lower the tranny & T-case together with the hoist slid in the door. It will give you alot more room to work under the truck and makes getting at the top bellhousing bolts a snap.

7. Madbomber88

That's an intersting idea. Without me going out to check, how large is the tranny hump? I have to admit I would much rather buy an engine hoist than either buy or rent a tranny jack. When you lower the tranny and t-case to the floor, did you slide it out completely from under the truck? Is the corssmember the exact center of gravity to run the chain?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wrap the chain around the adapter. That is pretty much the center point of the weight and will allow you to lower it easily.

There is no way other than this to do it. Having tried damn near anything to make this job easy, by FAR, this way is the easiest.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Like Tim said the adapter is the balance point of the assembly (at least it was for my th350/np205 combo). I could use one finger to lift the bellhousing to move it into place to reinstall. When I removed them to rebuild my trans I dropped the 205 first and then the trans with 2 regular floor jacks...what a pain!

The trans tunnel is about 2' x 1.5' on a 1st gen. It gives you plenty of room to move around. I slid the th350/np205 under the truck and then hooked them up to the chain. My truck is tall enough to clear the bellhousing at ride height...but it won't fit on a jack. I set it on a piece of cardboard and drug the cardboard under the truck to get it ready to lift into place.

10. Madbomber88

This is just my naive side, but is the adapter and its bolts attaching it to the tranny and transfer case strong enough support both the transmission and the transfer case if I lower it all as one piece while only supported by the chain around the adapter? Can I get the chain around the adapter without removing the crossmember, or do I have to remove that first? Need to support the engine at all through this process?

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It will support it just fine. It has to support alot of the weight of the 205 bouncing around most of the time when it is all in place driving. Some people get along fine for years without using the t-case to frame mount.

You will have to support the motor. I just use a 2x4 over the fenders and a rope to something handy to keep the back of the motor from falling.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

There is no way other than this to do it. Having tried damn near anything to make this job easy, by FAR, this way is the easiest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is. Use a tranny jack, and get the adapters that go on it, that bolt to the tranny/tcase. That will hold it and it wont go anywhere. Piece of cake! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif