Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doing shackle flip with 4" lift already...what for front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakkedjimmy, Jun 24, 2006.

1. jakkedjimmy

jakkedjimmy Registered Member

I have 4" lift front springs and 4" blocks and aal in the rear. i want the truck to be higher and articulate better in the rear. i am decided on doing the rear home made shackle flip, but i dont know how to make the front equal to the rear after the flip. i figured 4-5" of lift from the flip? I can use 2" lift shackles for the front but what can i do for 3" for lift for the front. add more leafs? any ideas?

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get rid of the rear blocks and it will sit close to even-rear will be a little high.can always add a 0-rate to the front to help even it up

3. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you asking exactly. I had the almost the same setup when I bought my truck. I did the DIY flip. No more, no less in lift. Still had four inch lift springs in the front, the flip gave me 4 inches.

I was still a inch taller in front then the rear, measuring from the top of the fender opening to the ground. I installed six inch shackles in the rear instead of the four inch ones I had. Fixed that dilemma.

I then wanted to move my front axle forward, so I ended up installing front and rear Zero Rates.

Hope this helps.

4. jakkedjimmy

What are these zero rates everyone is talking about? is this a type of spring? Also i want around 8" of lift that is why i was asking after i do the shackle flip with the block in rear, how am i going to get 8" of lift up front. My buddy with a machine shop was going to make me some 2" lift shackles but how do i get the other two inchecs without new springs? I thought of getting some other chevy stock spings and adding a few of the more arched springs to my pack? would this work? Also, i realize i will need longer brake lines front and rear but $150 for the braided stainless ones seems kinda expensive...has anyone had any luck finding a rubber hose from say NAPA that is longer and will work on our trucks? Sorry for the confusion and the leangth

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Just remember that a 2" longer shackle will only net you 1" of lift.

6. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Thats a good way to kill yourself and others.

You NEED to use BRAKE LINES. They don't have to be steel braided, just longer. I'm sure someone here knows a part number.

A zero rate is just a 1" block that bolts into the center bolt of the spring pack. Lift blocks are held in by the U-bolts.

The blocks won't help for flex just lift. Most here would go with a flip and 4" lift springs and or longer springs.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

A two inch lift shackle would have to be 4" longer than stock. Shouldn't be that hard to make, but would kill your pinion angle up front plus add a bunch of caster. Could equal some scary steering. You can buy 48" stainless braided brake lines from street rod/circle track shops and adapters for around $100 for the front. In the "post your part numbers" thread you can find the part number from napa for a rubber line for an 88-up 2wd chevy truck that is longer, but I doubt it would be long enough for 8 inches of lift.

Why not pick up a set of used 8" springs? Cheap is one thing, but saftey is another. Have you given any consideration to what you will do with the steering after an 8" lift? What about driveshafts?

I say just flip the rear, ditch the blocks and cut the fenders if you are after more tire.

8. jakkedjimmy

I have given thought to the driveshaft situation. I figured the rear shackle flip will tilt up the pinion in the rear more as well as bring it slightly closer to the transfer case. as for the front i was going to lift and see where i was when the dust settled and have the ds done if needed. i would love some used 8" springs if i could find some for a reasonable price i would definatley buy them. As for steering i am not sure what the previous owner has done to the truck but i believe it has a drop drag link already. i am not sure what else i would need but once again i was planning on doing it then seeing what was out of wack and fiixing it. Just for the record i didnt mean to use like vac line or somthing for brake line haha just so you guys know im not shot lol

9. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

rear springs if used up front net about +4 inches of lift. So 4" rear springs would do you for about 8" up front. They aren't bolt in, you would need to fab. But then they will be longer and flex more. 8" is allot though. The CHEAPEST way for you to nab another four inches would be to do the shackle flip, to get rid of that POS block. Then about $140 for energy suspension body bushings (will lift truck about 1" over stock worn out bushings) and then $80.00 for 3" body lift, bang 4". I've got my body lift on, will be doing spring shortly.... truck will be roughtly 10" taller then when I bought it.

10. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

hey if you want 8 inches. Boondock5 is trying to sell his 8 inch skyjacker lift for cheap. contact him. because that sounds dangerous. :rolleyes: