Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doing the Happy Dance. JD2 bender arrived today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Butch, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Finally after only a short 6 weeks of waiting I finally have my bender. The weekend schedule just got rewritten WOOHOO!!!

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

2. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

hOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR it? cc

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:88 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It was $475 with one die. They are proud of them, but the quality looks really good

but I was mistaken

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

they got an internet site?
    i need one also
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

did you see the post on POR , i think ? it was about the quality of expensive benders ( the ones costing $400 and up ) and the ones in HF for only $70 to $100. the dies are soooooooooo expensive for them that,for the quality of the ones from HF it seem's that you could make out better with one of them instead of shelling out boo coo dollars for new dies for a name brand bender.
    they even had pic's of the bends both benders made and they were absolutely perfect for each.
    now if yur bending 2 1/2 inch moly or something larger and tougher, then maybe i could see buying the big boy's,,but for just making cages and and bumbers and such it would seem to be a waste of money that could be used for other thing's.
    Not trying to put it down,,you prolly got a sweet piece of equipment, i just was wondering if you saw that post and the discussion's on it and such ,so you don't kick yurself in the ass ,,lol

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

The harbor freight bender is for PIPE. It bends pipe really well, but it will kink TUBE, and yes, I have seen this first-hand. If you only want to spend the money once, buy a decent bender, like a JD2 model number 3 or a pro-tools bender. You can get into it for less than $550, which is just as about as expensive as a decent 220V mig. It's a big one-time investment, but if you were to buy a set of sliders, and a couple of bumpers, you have already paid for it.

Yes, others have used the pipe bender with some success, but it can't make really tight bends (over 100 degrees). You could make everything from pipe, but I'm not getting into that battle of pipe vs. tube. This is what I've built with my JD2 with 2" .120 DOM tube. <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/29844311LJDFoDnOiJ>http://community.webshots.com/album/29844311LJDFoDnOiJ</a> The JD2 bender is well worth the money. Just my .02.

The big question is, what's Butch gonna' build with that brand-spankin' new bender he just got [​IMG].

BIGJ

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

IDEA !
    since steve get's to test everyhting all the time, i think he should confiscate several bender's of different makes,types and prices,,i'd be more than happy to test them out and make a few thing's to see which ones were good and which ones were scrap makers[​IMG]

oh yeah,,i'll need an extensive supply of different types and sizes of tubing and pipe also [​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I also have that Harbor Freight POS that is why I bought the JD2. I have seen what it will do and the one from HF should be called a pipe kinker not a pipe bender. By the way their web site is JD2.com, just dont be in a hurry to get it.

but I was mistaken