Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doing the interior Rhino thing.....need some advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jun 21, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am going to start stripping the interior and I am leaning towards the do it yourself stuff. What brands would you guys recommend? Does it make the truck that much louder without carpet in? Is it best to sand the floorboards or can I just apply on top? Also I had an idea to route the stereo wires and stuff. I was thinking to use some 1/2" hose and route all the wires through them along the bends on the floor. Pic's and tips welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I chemically cleaned the whole bed and floor after wirebrushing the whole thing...boy was that fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I used herculiner but I haven't been able to drive it yet, although application was easy and it looks good and tough. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. stallion85

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sounds funner than prepping my axles for paint /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So what chemical did you use? Will one gallon be enough for the whole truck?

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Why not get it professionally done? I had my Jimmy sprayed firewall to tailgate with the dark grey rhino liner. We stripped everything out except for the drivers seat and they did the rest. Rhino is much smoother and a has much more grip to it than that hurci-crap so you won't have stuff skidding around the cab. Also when it gets wet you won't slip around anywhere as near as much if you had herculiner, that stuff is just to hard and slick for my liking. Noise wise, hell... with 38's, a 383 with headers and flowmasters with no cats making that thing quiet is beating a dead horse /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

On the wires you should get some of that flexible plastic wire conduit that you can get at any hardware or automotive store.

There should be pics of the Rhino Job of the Jimmy on my dad's members account, Derf00

5. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I do spray in's at work (along with about a million other things /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif ) and I have seen the difference between the "professional" and the DIY stuff. I would recommend haveing it done by a pro. I did mine from firewall to tailgate and this week I will be spraying the whole truck. We will charge someone between $300 to $400 (for the interior) depending on if we take all the interior out or the customer does most of the dismantalling.
    Oh, and we sand it and then wipe it down with denatured alcohol to get the vehicle ready for the liner material.

Either way you go, good luck with it.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much does it cost to do it yourself with hurculiner or some other retailer? I don't think there is a rhino liner place near me, so I might have to do it my self /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. stallion85

Those are some helpful ideas, thanks guys. If I did have it done professionally it would probably look better and be warrantied. On the other hand the the cost is roughly a $100 bucks compared to the $400 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif For those with the Herculiner do you have any good things to say about it?

8. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

I rhinod the inside and hated it, hot and loud. Got a poly floor from LMC truck for 150 that just does the passenger compartment, it had a little insulation under it, but I still get to hose the whole thing out when I am done mudding. Don't have to prep the floor or nothing either. Depending on how often you drive it and how comfortable you want to be when you are driving it will determine what floor you go with. have fun, and good luck.

9. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    How much does it cost to do it yourself with hurculiner or some other retailer? I don't think there is a rhino liner place near me, so I might have to do it my self /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Look here:)

10. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    I rhinod the inside and hated it, hot and loud. Got a poly floor from LMC truck for 150 that just does the passenger compartment, it had a little insulation under it, but I still get to hose the whole thing out when I am done mudding. Don't have to prep the floor or nothing either. Depending on how often you drive it and how comfortable you want to be when you are driving it will determine what floor you go with. have fun, and good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was yours done professionally or did you do it yourself? I hear the Rhino job is a lot thicker than the DIY stuff.

11. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

What monsterjim posted is a good idea also, it just won't prevent any rust (if you are worried about that sort of thing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I ordered some stuff from LMC for my '71 stepside and they were very good to deal with.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my interior is herculined, I like the stuff a lot. It was cheap, easy, and it has lasted for a couple of years now. Prep is everything with this stuff, be extra thorough and it WILL pay off in the long run.

All of that said, I dont have a stereo in my rig, or matts/carpet and it IS pretty noisy. I hear my engine all the time, and every rock that bounces off the inner fenders too. Personally, I like to hear my rig so I dont care... but if you like listening to Brahms at low volume at freeway speed... you might think about getting the thicker pro spray on liners, as they tend to insulate better.

j

13. stallion85

Thanks for your input Jekbrown. I have read a few write ups on the net and have found out that prep is probably %80 of the job. My truck isn't a DD so it doesn't matter how much time I have to take. I will probably start the tear down and prep this week and then buy the Herculiner next week. I have heard of people using it on the lower quarters of the body. I don't know if I am going to get that drastic but it is a thought. I will definetly do the door sill and maybe the rockers. I have heavy duty rubber floor mats i will just throw on top when finished. I am scared of what I might find when I rip the floor up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Beware of Dupli Color, I used it and have regreted it ever since. It took 2 gallons to roll my tub BTW but I put this stuff on really thick trying to make it more durable. I ended up putting a rubber mat with insulation up front because the floor boards were getting too hot with only the bedliner /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

Well hers some actually pictures of how mine came out. Its kinda dirty since i fine sanded the inside of the top not to long after i got done but it gives you an idea. If you have any skills with a paintbrush you can make it look as good as the professional job. I kinda like the rugged look where its not so fine like a spray on. A few spots are a little thin but thats because i didn't do two coats on some parts that would never see any contact.
    Check out more pics at
    My Project Krumbling K5 Page

I used the scrubber in the herculiner kit and some fine sandpaper to prep the floor. I cleaned it out with a wet rag and then chemically. I have didn't notice any change in sound, but i had holes in my floor before i replaced it!!! I don't think its worth the extra money, it so easy!!

16. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of my interior after it was Rhino lined. [​IMG]
    If you are installing the liner for insulating purposes you will be very disapointed. What I liked was the fact that I could clean the interior with a hose, leaf blower, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif what ever.

17. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh yeah, one more thing. If you like the color it is when it dries (black and pretty shiny) then you're going to want to spray it with some UV-protectant top coat. The company that makes herculiner sells their own, but I'd guess that pretty much any UV-pro clear top coat spray paint would work. If you don't coat it, eventually UV will turn the herc very, VERY flat and it gets a bit lighter too... like a really dark gray. Personally I prefer the anti-bling flat look... but I just thought I'd mention it so that you, and not the sun, would decide what color your liner is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why waste time and money on a liner? Just rip the carpet out and call it good. The metal is painted so it won't rust anymore than the outside would. I too had visions of a liner but never got around to it and I'm glad I didn't. I haven't had carpet for 4 years and I'll never go back to that or waste money on a liner. It's just more weight.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. stallion85

That paint looks pretty cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I don't think I would do my whole K5 like that but I can get an idea of what the texture will look like /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif