Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doing the shackleflip and removing overload springleaf?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am doing the shackle flip to get rid of my blocks and I was thinking of removing my overload spring leaf at the same time to get better articulation. My Blazer is stripped down, no carpet, no tailgate, no hard top, no doors and I don't carry any heavy stuff around. Should I do it? Also, will the shackle flip improve droop or compression?

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yes do it. No need for the overload if you are not towing. The shackel flip in itself does not help compression as the spring rate is the same. Less axel wrap then with the blocks and depending on the flip you get more drop because of shackel length. I have the install of a DIY4x kit on my mod post in my signature.

3. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I also removed to overload spring in my 64" springs. I am also running a longer shackle. I am very happy with it.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you need the little bit of height you can trim them down and flip them upside down as well.

i would remove them and do this. also be sure to bevel the edge that would contact the springs at full stuff.
    Grant

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i removed the overloads on my 63" springs and will not put them back on...

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

what is your lift size if any?, and how is the ride height with the 64's? does it stink bug in the rear? i did the 64 swap with ord shackle flip and 4in tough country springs up front will be going in. truck is on jacks, not done yet. i cut my over loads to about 1in longer then my 14ff spring pearches, kind of like a zero rate block. i want the truck to sit level. i thought ot might sit low in the back with out the height of the overload. i also kept the axle in the stock lacation, moved the front and rear buckets forward and backwards acordingly.

7. PsychoticDeadGuy

Write up on 63" springs the front is 4" rancho springs and 1" zero rates and the rear is the 63" springs w/out overloads but with 1" zero rates and the rear end sits about 1-2" higher than the front, kinda funny looking. so the rear zero rates are coming out tomorrow. but i have a total of about 6" of lift in the rear from the new springs and 7.5" shackles and 4" ORD shackle flip.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I must ask, why is it you guys like removing overloads so much? I mean by the time the spring travels on compression that far its about flat. Remove the overload and nothing to stop it from going negative unless you have a good bumpstop setup(but if you are a fan of removing it you wouldn't have a bumpstop to stop the uptravel because you want that flex), so instead you let the springs go negative and wear them out? Sorry I've had 56s and 52s flex great, even with add a leaves, don't see why removing the overload is such a great idea.

Of course I've never removed the overloads and found out what it did. Enlighten me folks.

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

partially, they hang down and snag on stuff...for me, its would be branches or stuff under the water...not too much but it is alot easier to clean your truck if you arent picking stuff out of tight spots...i do agree on either having the overloads or bumpstops....i just prefer the bumpstop method...

10. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i will be keeping my bump stops as i dont think over flexing them is a good idea for the life of the spring, allthough i might shorten the factory bump stop hanger setup abit or just fab a new better one up. you dont need over load s if you not carrying any real load. i dont want the snagging on stuff on the overload springs, you have a issue with axle wrap being increased but that can be fixed too.

11. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I also agree with the overload grabbing stuff on the trail. I dont haul much weight in the back of mine so i dont need them. I am also running to ord 4 flip,64's,longer shackles and a zero rate. I am about 6" of rear lift. It will flex the springs to a negative arch but i am going to lower the bump stops to cure this problem. Other then the bumpstops i am very happy with it and i'm not going to change a thing.

12. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

losing the overloads

I am was wondering the same thing about removing the overloads. If you do a 4" shackle flip in the rear and 4" springs in the front, will removing the overloads make the truck sit slightly lower in the back? Thanks, Kevin

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Typically, yes. Especially untill the front springs break in a bit. Removing the top will help some. A Zero-rate is the good fix IMO.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ahh these are good points. Can't count how many times I've had to climb under the truck while cleaning it and dig dirt, grass, and twigs out from between the overload and leaf pack.