Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOM steel????

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by az-k5, Feb 2, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well operation kill a dana 44 has begun. I need to find a place to get some 1.5" .250 wall DOM for my steering. I am also looking to convert to the internal hub design. I need to know where I can find 8 lug internal hubs.
    Any help is big help.
    Thanx

2. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Hey Matt, did you call Capital metals in Phx they always seem to have a good assortment of metal. As far as the hubs I'm planning on going on a salvage hunt for axles over the next couple of weekends. I could look for ya or better would be you coming with (and helping me not screwing myself on selecting axles /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Best place for DOM that I have found is Southwest Metals

22233 N 23rd Ave,
    Phoenix, AZ 85027
    (623) 582-3636

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

KO since I'm a big dumb dumb head what's DOM steel?? Good luck to y'all.

Allan

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Steel tubing comes in 3 basic styles (pipe is different than tube). HREW (hot roled electrically welded, the most common) DOM (drawn over mandrel) and Chro-moly (an alloy of different strengths $$$). HREW has a visable seam on the inside, DOM has a seem but has been made by a different process and therefore shows no seam (thus stronger), Chro-moly uses special elements in the making of it and creates different traits for rigidity, strength, and machinablilty. All my tube work so far is HREW and works fine. I just wont trust it for bashing and steering at the same time.
    I will call southwest cause they are near me. What weekends are you plannin on going out huntin' Jay. I can go on sundays depending on how behind I am on my classes.