Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dome light comes on for no reason.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Mar 31, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Has anyone had their dome light come on for no apparant reason? It happens most often when wheelin, but it does happen going down the road too. I have a short somewhere I'm assuming. But I haven't a clue where. I have inspected all the wire I can get to. Nothing is peeling back or cut. I ad to disconnect the cig lighter. I plugged a cell phone charger into it one day and it blew my fuse for the radio. I didn't realize all it was was a fuse until after my 12 hour road trip was over. Where should I begin to look. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif With all the knowledge I'm gaining from you guys and gals I'll have my truck like new in no time.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

check all the door switches, i had a similar problem awhile back, found a door switch was breaking, replaced it, no probs since.

3. scoutillac

Come to think of it my drivers door switch doesn't work at all.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Do you keep blowing that fuse?? i ask because every now and then i plug something into the cig lighter and the fuse blows an dthe dome light comes on. and after threee hours of staring at a wiring diag, i found that when the cig lighter shorts out it back feeds a ground to the dome light thru some weird redundant circuit. thats where i would start looking, after the door switches of course.

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i found that when the cig lighter shorts out it back feeds a ground to the dome light thru some weird redundant circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I blew my cig lighter with a cell phone charger (didn't fit exactly right)....didn't know it at the time, but the radio quit working so I started pushing buttons to see what worked and what didn't.....Then I noticed that when I honked the horn the dome light came on instead...thinkin' WTF??...replaced the fuse and life was good....sure did wig me out for a while, tho... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. scoutillac

I cut the cig lighter out. I set up an after market fuse block behind the glove box for accessories/lights/stereo.etc. I figured it was safer that way. I wish this would happen to my car. I would let it short out so I could get rid of the car due to accidental fire. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another vote for the door switches. My truck used to do the same thing. After having to boost the truck 2 mornings in a row(because the light would magically come on in the middle of the night /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I redid both door switches and haven't had a problem since.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The door switch is a good guess as any. They are cheap, and easy to replace (I paid $3.50 a couple of weeks ago for one). The bad thing about the dome light circuit is that it is always hot and looking for a ground (through the door jamb switches or headlight switch usually). This can cause a wire that has it's insulation worn through to cause the light to come on. Its probably the door switch though. Try that first. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

In my truck the wiring for the dome light kinda got caught in the parking brake pedal a few times and started coming on while driving (while being pinched in the released pedal) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif All this when the dome light has not worked in several months when I tried using it too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif When I turn the switch on the dome light went out and the under dash light came on instead, turn the switch off and they went back the other way. Drove me nuts until I found the pinched wire.