Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dome light issues 93 burb

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by bigd_176, Jan 23, 2003.

1. bigd_176

bigd_176 Registered Member

my 93 suburban just started this. when i open a door or turn on the dome light with the dash switch only the lights on the floor come on and if while they are on i push a button on the overhead console to turn on a map light the floor lights go out. but no matter how i mess with it the overhead dome lights will not turn on. ANY IDEA'S? i have replaced the door pin switches already!!!

thanks in advance, Derek /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

sounds like your light switch that controls the dome lights is going out.

3. bigd_176

you mean the little rocker switch on the dash that say's dome light? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

When I read that you recently replaced your door switches, a little light went on in my head. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I had a similar problem of intermittent dome light functionality on my 1987 Suburban and so my first thought was to replace the door pin switches. On my setup, the drivers door had 2 wires going into the switch while the other switches only had one wire.

So, I first replaced the drivers door switch and the problem was solved...until later that night when the top dome lights stopped working and the floor light continued to work when any/all of the doors were opened. I pulled the driver's side door switch out again and compared it to the old switch. The connections were all made with unshielded spade connectors and on the new switch, the plastic shield isolating the spade connectors was a LOT smaller than the old switch.

I had a hunch that one of the exposed metal peices was grounding out when it shouldnt. I used black electrical tape and covered the spade connectors individually and then taped the whole mess up to make sure that no metal part of the switch, other than the metal base that grounds to the door was touching anything.

My dome lights have worked flawlessly ever since - about 6 months.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigd_176

i'll have to try that tommorrow. i put the door pin switch in like a year ago but you never know..

thanks, Derek