Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dome Light Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I haven't had working dome lights for some time now and would like to get them working. I have a question, when you remove your hardtop and disconnect the wiring to the domelight in the top, does this create an open circuit? I have checked the lamp in the dome light, fuses and other things. I do know my door switches are shot. Also, when I turn the headlamp switch to turn on the dome lamp, it does not do anything. I know this is a broad question, but any of you know what I could do to get this to work? Perhaps someone with wiring diagram experience who could help me troubleshoot. Any help is appreciated.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

most likely your door pins I had the same problem and I also put in a new headlight switch, should cost around $20 or so for two door pins and the switch and its a super easy job..

3. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

On my '88 when you disconnect the rear lamp, the front still works. Maybe your headlamp switch is not making a good connection. My driver side door switch doesn't work at all and the passenger side intermittently, but it will always come on when I turn the headlight switch. Hope that helps.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have run across 2 problems with the dome lights. the first being the cable for the topper lights got corroded. The wire runs from the fuse box under the carpet over to the door sill. lays in the track under the door sill then comes up behind the trim by the seat belt. At some point the wire got nicked I guess by a door sill screw. That nick alowed water in that was sitting in the track. The other thing that happend was I managed to tag the wire with an interrior screw.
    My wife also has manged to kick plugs out of the fuse box for the dome lights and the pwoer windows (still trying to figure out how at 5ft tall she managed to do that.)

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Neil, the dome/courtsey light circuit should have an Orange and White wire. Orange should be "Hot" +12v all the time. Any time the white wire is grounded - thru the headlight switch or door switch, it should complete the circuit and make the light come on. Disconecting the plug for the top should have no effect on the other lights.