Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dome light won't go off - help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jstevenj, Dec 13, 2004.

1. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

97 chevy 4x4 - my dome light has stayed on the last two nights and the truck has almost not started both mornings. I took the door switches out Sat and they seem to be making and breaking like normal. I suspect is may be the timer that keeps the light on for a few seconds after you park and get out. Can any give me some hints on where to look next. Or where the timer is located and what it looks like. Or what else might be causing this.

I have replaced both door switches about 3 years ago.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Have you checked to make sure the dash switch is not turning it on.

If your battery is going dead, you can always take out the bulb or pull the fuse until you get it figured out.

I'm not real familiar with the 97, but the door switches generally work by grounding a wire to the chassis. If that wire loses insulation or the door switch in installed incorrectly, it can make a ground to the body of the truck on turn on the dome lights.

3. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

Do You Have Barn Doors In Rear If So Check The Contacts On The Door And Where It Touches The Prongs Or Buttons Whatever You Call The Probe Looking Things That Protrude Out That Make Contact. Use Some Sandpaper Or Scuff Pad To Clean Them. This Problem Happened On A Customers Car At The Dealer I Work At, It Fixed The Problem.
    Ps Any Help On My Shock Question I Got No Reply Fom Any One?

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Take the bulb out. Haven't you ever smoked pot?

5. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

If The Problem Is The Contacts Then Taking The Bulb Out Will Keep The Dome Lt From Coming On But You Will Still Get A Draw On The Battery And Eventually Kill It. Let Me Know If Cleaning Those Contacts Worked.