Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dome Lights

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Stickseler, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

When I got my 93 Suburban 3 months ago the dome lights worked on and off with alll the doors, then it quit working with the front 2 doors. It has one of those off/auto switches on the dome lights (under the headlight), at first I thought it was the problem but it works fine with the rear doors, so I thought it was the front door pin but they trigger the key in ignition buzzer. SO basicly the lights don't trigger with the front door switch but work off the other switches correctly. Any Ideas??

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The front switches may just be bad. If a door is left open for a long time, the switch overheats and melts the plastic housing. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have one switch that is cracked on our '94 so I've been looking for a good one in the junkyard. But all the ones that I've found had evidence of being overheated. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Stickseler

Thanks, Ill take a look at the switch. Would a bad switch still let the key in buzzer still work?

4. HarryH3

Hmm, I don't know the wiring offhand, but I would guess that they used the same wire to trigger the key-in buzzer as to trigger the lights. Perhaps the buzzer doesn't need much of a connection to operate??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Stickseler

I think thats it...yesterday while waiting for the wife I jiggled the button around and the lights come on when I push it twoards the front down. the buzzer fluxuates but stays on, I guess I'll have to pull the switches.

Do they pull from the front or do I need to get behind them?

6. HarryH3

You have to get in behind the switch and depress the plastic retainers that hold the switch in place, then it will slide out towards the door. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Stickseler

Thanks...I'll check it out this weekend

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Another one of those design flaws that GM never seemed to catch on to. My 97 does the same thing.

9. HarryH3

Yeah, GM apparently doesn't keep track of any "quality issues" once the warranty has ended. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif For example, the return spring on the inside door handle has broken twice in my '91 S-Jimmy. Just a fluke? Apparently not, as EVERY S-10 that I peek inside of at the junkyards either A) also has the spring broken or B) the handle is already missing, having been grabbed by another S-10 owner that has a broken door handle return spring. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (I did just recently get lucky and get one before it had been nabbed! But how long will it last before breaking?)

American car makers still haven't discovered ONE simple fact. Most people don't go out and buy a brand spanking new vehicle the day they get out of high school. Instead, we get to drive old stuff. The kids that get old American vehicles get to learn to work on them. The kids that get old Hondas, Toyotas, etc. get to drive them, and drive them.... When they finally have the ability to purchase new, guess which dealership they show up at? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You can bet it isn't the one that sold the vehicle that their friends had to work on every weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hmm, I wonder why American makers keep losing market share? Think they'll figure it out before they go belly up? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Reminds me of those incredibly stupid ads on TV that tout "According to J.D. Powers, we're number one in initial quality". Who gives a rats ass? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I want to know who's number one in quality after 3, 5 and 10 years of ownership! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif