Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dominos Philly Cheesesteak pizza....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 7, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok, one of my pet peeves is when people try to nationally bastardize a regional thing. I have not been to many states, but the few I have been to all have some form of "Philly Cheesesteak" or my favorite a "Philly Steak and Cheese".... go to hell. Unless it is made in Philadelphia PA, it should not be called a Philly Cheesesteak. If I go to the local resteraunt I do not find the name "Philly Cheesesteak" on the menu. Now its the worst when these things are made NOTHING like a real Philly Cheesesteak.

I can get passed all that though. What I have a problem with is, what anus did Dominos get their recipe from? I just saw the damn pizza on TV, it has mushrooms and green peppers on it... I have seen mushrooms on a Cheesesteak(though its very uncommon and pretty much just a few random people that would order it), but I have never seen green freaking peppers on a Cheesesteak!

And of course as some of you might remember, I do not eat cheese at all so this is all just me being stupid about some choice of advertising....

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Good rant I agree 100%.. I haven't had a "Good" cheesesteak in a long time.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Hmmm... My ex GF was from Philly, and her dad still lives there. Out here we have a shop called "The Cheesesteak Shop" (original Philadelphia style cheesesteak). Both she, her Mom and Dad, and two Aunts who were all born and raised in Philly, loved to go there. They make a damn good cheesesteak, I must say. They also have a bunch of varieties, with or without peppers, hot or sweet, marinara sauce and provolone (not for me). But I'd have to say you'd probably like it. The best part is that they "import" Tastykakes! Love those things.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We have a joint here called Uncle Sam's and they to have several varieties of cheesesteak sandwiches. One of my favorite food purveyors in town. Unfortunately, for the whole family to eat costs the better part of 50 bones so we don't go very often.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds sweet. Got to love Tastykakes :D

I can respect that idea. My gripe is with the places that don't care at all about the actual recipe and just throw some ground beef in a random roll, throw some American cheese on it and call it a "Philly Cheesesteak".

I know Dontoe said somewhere down in the Carolinas I believe there is a shop that imports Amoroso rolls to make their Cheesesteaks, now that is dedication!

6. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

When I went to Philly, I waited in line for 30 minutes at Joes. I was very dissappointed.

As far as the Dominos pizza goes, it doesnt taste like one, but I think I liked it. Then again its been a while.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I call it a Philly Cheesesteak because I have never heard of a Boston Cheesesteak or a Los Angeles Cheesesteak or a Mobil Cheesesteak..........

8. Col_Sanders

Or a Butthole of America cheesesteak?

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I feel the same about Belgian Waffles.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Pat's and Gino's are the most popular places to go. My Dad knows some place out of the way he thinks are the best going. Like I said, no cheese for me, so this is all really just my annoyance over the choice of words.

I had kids at school argue with me that the proper term was "Steak and Cheese", since apparently thats what they are called up north.

11. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

When I was a kid growing up in Pa. my elem. school had these things they called "Steak and Cheese Combos". Steak(the cheap frozen, chopped, preformed kind) mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce. Not bad that I can remember, but then again when you are a kid you will pretty much eat anything anyway.

Out here it's hard to find a cheesesteak that compares to back East. There's a place by the U of A that advertises having "Authentic South Philly Cheesesteaks", they even go so far as to using the same ordering style...wit or wit out. They are okay, but not worth the $8 they charge for one.

As far as Domino's and their use of the term, I could care less what they called it, I like the pizza, but wit out the mushrooms.

12. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

tastycakes are badddddddddd news...espically the tastycakes coffe cakes.....

13. k2mslskier

Ahh...Tastycakes...the peanut butter chocolate ones...can't think of the name but oh yeah.

Is there anyone in the Central Pa. area that knows about Middleswarth potato chips? Those are something else that we grew up on...but unfortunately can't get out here since they are just pretty much from that region. My little brother could go through a whole barrel of barbq in one sitting without a problem.

14. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

I grew up in Delaware and now live in New York. I miss a good Philly cheesesteak. my favorite was Jim's on south street but also like Pat's (don't really care for Geno's they use the big chunks of steak) but you are also correct and up here they call it steak and cheese.

15. Col_Sanders

Thats it, Jim's, not Joes.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes, my favorite :)

https://www.tastykake.com/productdetail.aspx?categoryId=40&productId=100341

My elementary school had "Cheesesteaks" that were frozen pieces of chipped steak with cheese slapped on them. I refused to eat them. I was/am a very picky eater.

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

MMMMMM! Yup those are the ones! Big glass o' milk and Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes!

18. k2mslskier

19. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can almost see the Philly skyline from my window and it bugs me when I go outside the area and see "Philly cheesesteak" on a menu. It's a damn cheesesteak, put cheese and steak in a roll and serve it to me. I always order it to see what kind of abortion they bring out. Got served an entire steak on toast with cheese once. :doah: not chopped, not in a roll, what the F**K were they thinking.

Soft pretzels out of a grocery cart in front of Vet stadium, Herr's potato chips, tastycakes, real cheesesteaks, thats Philly.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

now there is someone who knows EXACTLY what I mean, haha