Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

done a search, now I need help! (ff14b e-brake question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 11, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, got the brand spankin' new ff14b under my truck. Problem is, the thing came with e-brake cables that are about 3' long (both sides have equal length cables)... and the factory setup runs down the frame rail on the drivers side, so one cable was looong and one wasnt. Question: what exactly should I do here? Is there a way to rig it so I can use the 3' cables on the ff14? I assume that would mean re-routing the cable that goes up front... or... should I swap the cables off of my 10 bolt and try to use them?

I know this has been covered before, but I cant find it in searches, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

J

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When i did my 14ff swap i used an axle out of an 85 suburban which had the correct length cables already. If the cable attaches the same you can reuse your existing cables on the 14ff.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dunno, dont think they attach the same... I have the drums off my 10 bolt, but I have never taken the brake cables off before. Guess I'll have to have shane help me a lil more. Anyone else?

J

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Simple: find some backing plates from an '83 or newer K20 or C20 truck. Either the 14FF or SF plates will work fine. These will have the proper cables you need in order to get the e-brake working again. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thanx for that bit of info Wes. Mine has the same problem, short cables. At least I now know my rear axle is pre 83. Ill have to look at the other 14FF I have to see if it has the right backing plates.

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I went through the same think a few weeks ago. I put a 3/4 ton off a 77 GMC grand sierra on my 89 Blazer. There is a guy on here with pics of how he welded up a simple fix to use the existing cables (off your blazer). Don't remember who exactly it was but it looked like it should work. I needed a quick fix that day and so I bit the bullet and dished out the cash for the newer style backing plates. They were around $40 each plus tax from the dealership. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You have to know if you have the 3/4 ton or 1 ton 14bFF rear as I believe the brakes are larger in the 1 ton and use a larger backing plate. I asked for plates from an 85 3/4 ton Suburban and they worked perfectly. I did still have to move the bracket on the frame foward approx 1 inch to make the cables reach which was easy by drilling one more hole and using one of the existing holes on the cross member (it makes sense when you look at it). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm sure you can find some plates at a junkyard if you can find one in your area that lets you pull small stuff like that. Seems like most of the ones around here want you to take the whole axle.