Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DONE, DONE, DONE !!!!! - Bumper finished and on the K5. Finally (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Apr 30, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I finally finished the custome bumper for the rear of my K5. It turned out great and I am about 94% happy with it. I am a little irritated (partly at me and partly at one of the schools instructors). When I positioned the bumper on the frame, I had one of the instructors hold and "line up" the bumper so it was level while I welded it to the brackets. Once done with a series of DEEP penetrating welds, I found the instructor had the bumper slightly angled backward. Now that this is done, the angle of the bumper can be seen but it can be lived with. I will, at a later date, re-drill the mount holes so the bumper is level.... oh well....

Let me know what you think! This took about 2 1/2 months to finish. Here is the link:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/Bumper.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/Bumper.html</a>

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

HOLY CRAP!!! that thing is huge...looks good though...nice job man.

Later

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Looks good, how much does it weigh?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I pitty the fool who rear ends you!!!

Seriously, that thing is massive. Is the back end sitting low now? It looks insanely stout!

5. 1986Blazer

I figure it is around 275 lbs. The tire carrier is TIGHT - it does not rattle or move up, down or forward or backward. The latch is awesome. This was more of a project than anything. I still like it and plan to keep it until I take TIG welding. I will then make a tube bumper. But this thing does stand out in a crowd.....

6. 1986Blazer

The back dropped about 1/2 and inch. That is OK though, I am going to put on a 4" Rough Country lift. I am also in the market for 8 lug rims to fit on the back!

7. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I hope for the sake of every one else you never get rear ended. although, I'm not sure you would feel it if you did. LOL

8. 1986Blazer

If I get rearended, I will likely have more damage to the frame then the bumper. However, I did have someone hit my front bumper a few months ago.....it was a small Toyota rice burner. This guy was hammered and cut a turn at a light too tight. He clipped my driverside front corner. It nudged my truck a few inches but it pretty much totalled the Toyota. He sardine canned his drivers side from the front fender up to the A pillar. Took out the windshield, hood, fender, drivers door and one of the front struts. The cop was amazed nothing happened to my truck.....shows you what 1/4" steel can do!

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Holy $hit! That is funny as hell! LMAO! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Phew.... now that I got that out of my system... DAMN! That thing is HUGER THAN HUGE! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I guess that departure angle means next to nothing to you! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

At least you can total a ricer on command, without worries! HA! Christ... what's next... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

10. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Good Lord.......

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I agree, it is rather large. But nice looking welds and the fab's looks well designed too. Maybe a job working for ranch hand in his future???

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

btw, nice writeup. Wish i had the patience for making concise articles like that.

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Holy !@#!. I thought my bumpers were the deer crushers... your's... takes the cake!!!

did you guys see his front bumper????

14. 1986Blazer

The whole vehicle will look alot better once I have the 35's installed along with the lift kit and the spare tire mounted on the back.......There are not alot of rocks to crawl here in Key West, but the tourists are hell and half the time do not look where the hell they are going......maybe these bumper will teach a lesson.

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

ROTFLMAO.............. That puppie is big enough to ramp on... hahaha

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Holy geezuus man....I thought the bumper I just finished was huge. Mines on the front though. Weighs in at 175. That thing is total and complete overkill, but overkill is cool. Ya ought to get it powder coated. I got mine done in black. Check out my webshots page under the "Blazer Stuff" album. Click the link in my sig, lots of pics of what I put together for my bumper. Didn't cost me a thing either. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

check out some of the pics of my wreck with a honda. it is on the link at he bottom. I was going about 30 he pulled out in front of me. I T boned him, bent my frame but redid everything.. his car was more than gone.
    Sergio

18. 1986Blazer

That was my plan but there are not places here to do a power coat job that size. When I get back to Tx. I plan to get it done at a place in New Braunfels (the same place that did my front bumper). Overkill??? Well, I guess so but it was what I wanted.....POR 15 will have to do for now. I just need to get my 8 lug rims and 35" Pro Comps! I do more pavement crawling than anything so this will work great. It will also work as a great tow bumper for the boat I just bought.

19. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Looks great ! I like it alot. I'd like to have a big ass knocker like that on the front &amp; rear of my truck.