Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DONE!! with 700 in progress thansk for the help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Jan 19, 2007.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

*see my latest post*

my torque convertor doesnt have lock up as some may remember, so i bought bowtie overdrives wiring kit to do this right. my trans is an 85 700 and has baout 10k on it right now, and its fluid is still pretty red but not too fragrant. it kinda stinks, but not too bad. i wouldnt know if this is normal but i have only smelled new and freakishly old 1963 "how is this car still running" fluid. no middle ground experience for me. im going to replace about 5 qts of fluid and the filter when i do these wires and am wondeing if i should put some kind of additive in it? its a decent but seemingly tired trans (maybe the gears)w/ 35s and 3.08. i know i know. within a few weeks i should have mannys 4.56 setup if he gets to work! lol just kidding. with the lockup functioning and new gears, would you think it will last and should i even bother with the additive? thanks in advance because trannys really are not in my book o knowledge yet.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

The biggest enemy of transmission fluid is heat..over time, the fluid loses its ability to absorb heat which in turn leads to an inability to retain the extreme pressure additives the fluid comes with, so the additives end up in the pan, and you are just left with a circulating fluid that isn't helping you..

the additives you can buy at the store consist of a mix of tranny fluid, with more of the same additives, so you really aren't gaining anything by using them.

Best thing you could do is add a cooler if you haven't already..the other best thing you could do is PM me.. We can blend you a tranny fluid you won't have to worry about..

Tom

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My personal experience was that after changing old fluid, the trans failed pretty shortly. This seems to be fairly common. Who knows if it is because of bad fluid, old age, high mileage, or a combination of some or all?

I don't know as I'd be worried about additive. If it works fine now, I'd probably leave it alone. (other than the fluid change) *IF* it starts acting up, then try some of the additive. I have seen the additive ingredients work on old seals, so I know they aren't just snake oil, but if there is no problem evident, I probably wouldn't spend money on it.

You could always replace the filter and fluid, leave the pan somewhat snug, and start it, run it to circulate/mix the fluid, then drop the pan again to get another 5 qts changed.

IIRC 5qts is about 1/3 of the capacity of the transmission, and is going to be "instantly" contaminated with the old fluid anyways.

Edit: as a note to the above post, I'm unsure if Dexron III has a "seal conditioner" additive or not. If not, then the additive stuff WILL do something, as soft rubber seals are critical to automatic trans operation. The auto trans I've torn apart all had pretty hard rubber seals from age and heat.

4. obijuan

right i just wanted to fill it up i guess. its only got 10k on it and it was built last february. its not old persee' but its not had the best life. i have the cooler in the radiator, is that decent? also are yall saying i should do a full flush? i still have till feb 15 on the warranty and am hoping i got to the problem in time.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it has hard duty, definitely an external cooler and likely fluid changes more often.

Flush certainly wouldn't hurt, but if the transmission is already damaged from bad fluid, nothing is going to fix it. :(

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi Dorian!

yes, the dexron will have esters in it to condition ( swell ) the seals, as will the other commercial additives, so in that vein, they'll have an effect.. I was focusing in on the anti -wear abilities of said additives.

Tom

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

What he said...:waytogo:

8. obijuan

HELP with 700, in progress and stuck

ok i got the kit in and now i need help again. theres four gear pressure switches and it tells me to remove all of the wiring, but do i remove these switches as well? (a.b.c.d) the instructions are here. http://www.700r4.com/tech/tcc/internal_install/700r4.shtml

the new pressure switch is the fourth one, but what about the others, it looks as if theyre gone but i want to make sure, and its the weekend so theyre conveniently closed...

[​IMG]

should i keep these and not have them plugged in or take them out? and which is the "fourth gear pressure switch" a.b.c.d?? thanks SOOOO much!!

9. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I did mine all got plugs and new switch in your " B " location as per BTO. :D

10. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

do yourself a favor and put a checkball under the snout on the solonoid and dont worry about ANY wiring. this makes the tranny hydraulicly lock up in 3rd gear, and you dont half to worry about any wiring... Nate

11. CB77GMC

:rolleyes: some detail might be helpful.

12. obijuan

yeah... well its done, and knowing that those things needed to be plugged and not removed helped alot! thanks alot to everyone for replies and i test drove it and it worked great and im SO proud of myself, i have had no trans experience or transfer case for that matter, and this really helped. i know my truck a whole lot more now and i think i can tackle everything without hesitation. now it is the gear change from 3.08 to 4.56 but all in time. all in time

again THANKS!!

13. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Here goes. hehe.. some of the 4wd guys i wheel with and a few hotrod guys dont want wiring going to their trans and having to deal with the pressure switch's, temp sensor and solonoid, so what ive done in the past (i learned this from a old tymer who all he does is older trannies), he told me to put a checkball in te snout of the torque convertor clutch solonoid (the one with 2 bolts holding it to the pump) and cut the wires out of the thing... then put a 3/4 or so pipe plug or a freeze plug in the hole for the connector... this makes the transmision hydraulicly lock up in 3rd gear..Not much to it and it works great... ive had this in 3 of my customers trannies and never a problem... nate

14. obijuan

interesting. ive never heard of that and seems pretty cool. thanks for the explanation.

15. CB77GMC

2X :D