Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Done with AutoZone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 29, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I missed the entrace for Advanced Auto(my intended destination) so I drove on and went to AutoZone. Figure I'd give them another shot. I walk in, wait 10 minutes for someone to bother to help me. Alright, I need a FULL gasket set for a 1989 Chevy Suburban 350. He looks up "head gasket set"... ok whatever.

Counter: "Alright this does everything from the heads up, $65..."
    Me: I said I need a Full set...
    Counter: "well what else do you need, pan gasket?"
    Me: Uhhh, pan gasket, timing cover, water pump, oilpump driveshaft retainer thing, fuel pump, rear main seal...

At that point I walked out never to return to Auto Zone. Went back to Advanced and was out the door in 5 minutes with a FULL Gasket set.

2. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah, i never have like autozone. Bunch of know it alls who know nothing at all

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there are certian guys i talk to at autozone, if they are busy and someone else asks to help me i act like i forgot something and walk away.

once i asked someone (i was in a hury) for a rubber brake line, "we don't have that, all we have is metal". i correct my self and say brake hose, "we don't have that either." i said "yes you do, its the line from the caliper to the frame, look it up in the computer", "oh, i didn't know we had that" :screwy: :screwy:

i only go to auto zone if no one else has the stuff i need in stock.

today i almost argued with the guy at the steel shop, he was saying that 2" tube won't fit inside 2" pipe. that both are measured OD, so i got some 2" tube and went down the road to the scrap yard and got some 2" pipe.

some people just don't know what they are talking about.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Autozone, Schucks, Napa they are all the same. Too cheap to pay for good help.

I won't go into any of those stores if I have a question about something or if I need someone to look something up. I go to their website and look up the parts myself, pay for them online and take the receipt down to the store and just pick everything up.

At least that way I know who to blame if I get the wrong parts. :blush:

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm surprised you included Napa in there. The Napas I have been to hire older, experienced guys and they most always know what they're talking about and rarely rely on the computer for everything. I'm still an advocate of CarQuest though.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Most NAPA stores I've been in the people behind the counter wouldn't know how too turn a wrench. I'm sure it isn't like that everywhere, but I haven't had the luck of finding a good parts store in years.

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just the opposite here. I don't deal with the Advance unless I have to, Autozone is better here.........guess it has alot to do with the manager. But the NAPA just up the road has really experienced guys that have modified trucks. Fords and only one is 4X4 but smart guys.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the AutoZone near me is OK. but i try and buy everything from vanborn auto, they are still mom and pop.

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Every Napa I have been in has always had older people who knew what they were doing (and could use the actual cross reference manuals). Let's put it this way... If the electricity were to go out all over town, only NAPA would be selling parts.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah our Napas are quite good as far as knowledge goes. You get a lot less "wtf are you talking about?" looks at Napa here, but their hours suck and they don't stock all the little items I run in for sometimes(degreasers and such). Their store you look through yourself is smaller I should say. Whatever, I should go to Napa more but I don't know why I don't. I guess cause it takes forever to look through the books :D

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I usually go to advance, I only go to autozone for bearings and Ujoints. Ill go to Napa if I need an oddball part, or a part that is gonna be custom how I do it, so I need someone to be able to look it up, cause I dont know wtf kinda vehicle it came on.

Napa is more expensive but they almost always know what they are talkin about.

Advance is usually cheapest, and the 2 nearest my house know what they are talkin about. The one across town though....ugh...

Autozone, like I said, I only go there for Ujoints or bearings, or something that they have in stock that is relatively expensive. I dont know about the rest of autozones, but one up the street(maybe cause they never have any business), if you call and reserve the part, even if you are sitting in their parking lot, you get either a 10 or 20% discount(I cant remember what it is, been awhile since I bought anything there).

12. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I walked in to AutoZone a few weeks ago for an engine quote, and they told me to come back later when the engine guy would be in... I haven't gone back since, and likely never will...

13. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

same here. I quit dealing with Advance due to telling the guy 3 times what drive truck I had and he still gave me the wrong brake pads....dumb a$$. the only one that I let help me was my brother and since he quit and went to NAPA, I do my dealing there now, pay a little more, but atleast I've got the right part the first time :D .

14. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

don't like advance or autozone either one around here napa is good though don't car for car quest because of the open and closed who knows how many times. My brother got a motor from autozone and only had to take it out of the truck and back to the store 3 times till he got one that would run. And most people agree that if it is not simple to change or you depend on it don't get it from autozone. They cannot even tell me what stock ubolt size for my truck is and cannot sell a universal fuel pump (elec) without knowing what it is going in.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I needed a u bolts for my dana 60(u-joint yoke ones) they just couldn't understand wtf those were. No not the strap ones the U-bolt ones!! Huh?

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I thought They were the same company :confused: Oh well neither one is around here anyways so it don't really matter.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very well maybe, but the way they are run around here, I'm sticking with Advanced. The Advanced out in Blairsville treats me pretty well too.

18. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea autozone is bad. the zone by me has a bunch of gothic people that dont know there head from the a$$, i asked one guy there to get me a DISTIBUTER rotor for my s10. i go i need a rotor for a 92 s10 with a 2.8, hes like a brake rotor, i say oh sorry i ment distibuter rotor and hes like ok does that have 2 or 4 wheel abs. , i go i didnt know my distributer had abs and oh while ur back there can you get me a gallon of blinker fluid :D , i havnt been back there since.

i work at a gm dealership so i usually just get my junk from there, its a little more expensive but the parts guy knows his stuff. plus its all acdelco and not some other no name dura crap stuff

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wouldnt be so sure there's a difference... :whistle:

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup--times have changed...

I am one of the "old guys" that actually had to know how to read a catolog,and use the computer too--as a guide,not the gospel--too many of the newer "counterpersons" are LOST when the computer has no listing for a particular vehicle--go into any auto zone and ask for brake shoes for a 60 chevy--after the computer goes "beeep" when they enter the "60 chevy" listing--you get the "I'm sorry,we dont list that part sir"..... :confused:

Anyone that knows old chevys would know the same shoes fit full size cars until 1970,and would type in "70 impala"--or at least guess and open a box or two too match them up--but no,if its gonna take more than 2 minites,blow the customer off,get him out the door!--there are others here with money who want new airfresheners and bling hubcaps,easy sales that require NO brain to make.....sigh--

We have a NAPA and a few other "old school" parts stores,but their prices suck,and all the counterman have a "dont rush me" attitude--they answer 10 phone calls and do ten other things while trying to wait on you--one time I had to wait an hour till 1 o' clock just to special order a starter drive for my diesel--Because the guy I spoke to on the phone earlier was at lunch!!--and NO ONE else would even attempt to help--they all stared back at me the whole time!-

-I was warned if I wanted the part for the next day to make sure I got there before 1 pm!--I DID!--then no one else would pick up the ball--and when the guy got back from lunch,he said-"I told you to come BEFORE 1pm--now I'm not sure if I can get it for tomorrow!! :angry1: :angry1: I wasted 2 hours there.. :mad:

If I ever pulled a stunt like that,I'dhave been in the unemployment line--I guess things changed a lot the past 10 years--now the CUSTOMER has to kiss the countermans ass,not the opposite like it used to be--they know they gotcha by the nuggets,no other stores have the parts or the people to look them up--you used to have several "real" parts stores to choose from,now the few like NAPA that still exist all have countermen with a rather sour disposition ..(probably because like me,they get sick of getting all the "odball" requests for parts not used in stock applications,or other more difficult applications,never any "easy" sales to speak of,all those go to the "zone" or similar discount stores..)

-I'd get my butt reamed out if I spent more than 10 minites with the same customer--they want them in and out like cattle,and dont care how much money they lose by pushing the customers away that have "abortions" with parts from 100 vehicles made into one..I loved the challenge--but no stores I worked at liked such customers-

-All they would think of was the parts that didnt fit returned in greasy ripped boxes,and customers pissed because they could not return special orders...I agreed to a point--but a sale is a sale,and most of those customers werent just idiots--they knew exactly what they wanted--all they needed was the right guy to look it up an sell it to them...and to tell them IN ADVANCE if it dont work out,they might have to eat it(or pay a handling charge)...

I could rant about parts stores forever!--but one thing is certain--its hard to get anyone to work in one that knows his/her stuff--the computer is mostly to blame,now any boob can be a counterman,IF they know which button to push--and since its so "easy",you wont see any counterpersons getting much more than 8 bucks an hour--slave wages for the amount of stress and work expected of you--I'd rather drive the delivery truck for less,and avoid the ulcers working the counter gives... :screwy: . :crazy:

NEWS FLASH!-Now I hear Autozone is selling USED parts in my area!!--they are in the process of buying several wrecking yards out--guess I'm gonna look REAL close at any "new" parts I get from them!I bet some of those "rebuilt" calipers and such arent really rebuilt,just sandblasted and painted... :frown1: