Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Donor vehicle for a d60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Aug 20, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Hello All,

What vehicles came w/ a D60 that would bolt-in for the front of my '79?

Is there a list somewhere that tells what axles came on what vehicles?

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

One of the biggest comsumers of D60 fronts was the goverment. They used that axel in Dodge and later Chevy CUCV`s( pickups not K5s). They both have the same center pin mounting dimentions, and only the steering arm is different. Most of the early 60`s came with drums and birfield joints that are notorious for blowing out in turns under power. I believe that in`73 they started to run the Dodge with dics and open knuckle, u joint style axel shafts. All of the chevy pickup CUCVs came with the stronge 60. Now for Civvy rigs. One of the best sources for 60s is the chevy "six pack". This is a crew cab k30 that most people pass up because of the four doors, and the 8' bed.
    They tend to sell for cheap becase of there ugly looks. Most came out of the factory as single wheel rigs. So to put it in easy to explain words. One ton Chevy and Dodge is the simple and easy way to go. There are several companies that have D60s that are pullouts from goverment trucks. Most are rebuilds that they sell back to the Gov. and the general public. Try contacting Boyce Equipment @1 800 748 4269. Hey carry 60s that have been rebuilt to gov. specs. for $1700. By the way there rebuilds replace ALL bearings, seals, gears, tie rod, rotors if warped, hubs, rebuilt calipers, axel u joints, inner shafts if even slightly worn, new wheel studs, and the axel is checked for line bore befor the build up begins. When you add all of this up you get much or for you cash than if you spent $1000 or $1200 on a used axel from Joe Shmoe.

3. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for taking the time to reply! That was informative. Sometimes I wonder how people on this board know so many details about so many things.

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

4. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

The Dana 60's that were on Dodges will not bolt up exactly to a K5. The spring perches are wider apart than a Chevy 60. With a slight mod.-they will work but for direct swap-get a Chevy D60. Don't use a D60 from a 70's chevy-mid 80's have bigger innershafts.

5. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

One of the great things about this board is that we all come from different walks of life and our interests bring us together here. As you spend more time here you too will be able to jump in when someone has a question that you see someone else hasn't answered yet or completely, it just comes from reading everyone els's posts over time.
    Have you checked with Brians60's He had some brand new D60's for 1550 a piece on parts the for sale board and I saw his ad in the local paper this week so i believe that he still has some of them.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

GMs used Dana 60 fronts in 1 tons only from 1977-1987, then in 1988-1991 CREWCABS ONLY!!! I thought all 60 GMs had 1 1/2" 35 spline inner axleshafts...least all the ones I've come across...

ken

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I think Ken is right on the inner shafts. My 79 D60 had 35 splines (inner). The outer splines are 30 spline (I think)

I Just purchased 35 spline outers and 35 spline Warn hubs from Six States. Six States had some decent prices. Big thanks to Titanic for some answers on that.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

8. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

The early Dana 60's had 35 splines but the axle shafts narrowed down between the splined end and the u-joint yoke on some late 70's Gm 60's

9. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Found a pic of the difference you can find in the inner shafts of some D-60's. The rusted inners came out of a 79 chevy K30 (D60)-the newer shafts are from a mid-80's D60. Both have 35 splines but the older shafts "neck" down after the splines so they aren't really 1.5" in diameter. The outter shafts are the difference between stock and the 35 spline upgrade shafts from Dynatrac.

10. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I know where there are several chevy front dana 60's that
    are used but in excellent shape with 4.10 and 4.56 gears
    If anyone is interested I will check on prices. Brian

MUDNUT

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

You're right about the shafts being smaller in the middle. This is a stock 79 GM shaft:
    [​IMG]

Looking foward to installing the new shafts and have 35 spline all the way through. You would think paying that much for a single axle, it would come with large shafts (inner and outer) but I guess not. I purchased new shafts and hubs from Six States which seemed to have the best price.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods