Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Donor vehicles for a 14B SF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I am looking for a 14 Bolt Semi-Floating rear axle with 4.10 gear ratio. Well, the junkyards don't know what in the world a S/F 14B is, they only know how to look up a year, make and model to check for the parts. Everyone is telling me that they have nothing at all and I know that there has to be some of these in a junkyard somewhere in Michigan. I have been saying 89+ Chevy pickup in one of two varieties: 2WD 3/4 ton or 4x4 3/4 ton with six lugs. Are there any other vehicles that I should be mentioning?

I know that they came in 8-lug under 3/4-ton Subs in the late 80's but nobody seems to have ever heard of this. Did they ever come under Tahoes, Yukons or Subs in the 90's?

You guys on this board make it sound like you can go to a junkyard whenever you want and snag axles, but I've already contacted about 20 junkyards in SE Michigan and found only 1 FF ($500 + exchange, like I have one...) and 1 SF (3.73 gears, $950). What am I doing wrong? I shouldn't have to drive out West to buy axles. Most of them probably came from Michigan anyway.

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Contrary to what appears to be popular belief, the SF 14 bolt (8-lug) is very common in early to mid'80's 3/4 ton trucks and Suburbans. I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, but I've actually seen more SF's in 3/4 tons in these years than the FF variety.

I also may just be lucky, but around here there are numerous SF and FF 14 bolts either in junkyards or with private sellers that can be bought for between $100-250 in decent shape.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I believe the 14b sf that will be in my truck someday came from a 1990 Chevy Blazer... the gearing is 4.10 on it and is 6 lug. So I think if you check under those you will find one around...

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

4. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I agree with 6.2Blazer on this one about the SF 14 bolt (8-lug) being very common in early to mid'80's 3/4 ton trucks and Suburbans. I looked around the salvage yard where i got mine and there were 3 or 4 more 14SF there, they were under 2wd 84-87 3/4 ton trucks and could be bought for $250 or less. I got a 10B front, 14SF rear, all 4 leaf springs, wheels, and tires from an 85 3/4 ton burb for $500.

AFAIK the 6-lug 14SF began to be offered in heavy 1/2 tons, some Z71's, and light duty 3/4 tons after 1988 but before then they were all 8-lug. If you can find one from an 87 or older truck or burb and they will bolt right up. Anything newer will require you to move the spring perches and shock mounts. I'm beginning to hear about some differences in axle length between the 4x2 and 4x4 versions of the same truck (4x4 being about 2" wider overall) but have not been able to confirm it yet.

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

that 14 bolt isn't in your truck yet? what is going on with you? get that puppy put in there..!

Surfing is Life...

6. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Just what is the difference between a SF and a FF? Benefits, downsides? Just curious, I see some of these terms, and have no clue whatsoever.

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

A SF is like our OEM 10/12 bolt rears - the axle shaft carries the weight of the wheel, and is held in place by C-clips on the ends of the axleshafts and an interference fit on the rear wheel bearings. A FF shaft carries no weight, transferring torque to a hub that rides on a seperate spindle, like the front end. The biggest advantage to a FF is that the axleshaft breaking will not cause the wheel to seperate, no matter what - a SF will allow the wheel to seperate, unless the rear has a disc brake setup to prevent it, which will still allow a degree of trouble.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks

9. Blue85

Thanks for that valuable information. I will start asking about 84-90 3/4-ton subs and trucks. It will just be harder to specify the S/F vs. the F/F other than having someone look for the protruding hub.

I know that the F/F is common and strong, but I really want to run 15" aluminum wheels. I am looking into 8 to 6-lug wheel adapters for the S/F. It should bring the track width out to match the front at the same time. It is impossible with the F/F, but should be OK for the S/F.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

10. Blue85

I thought that all 1990 Blazers had 30-spline 10 bolts in the back. If it is 6-lug, it must have come from a pickup. If so, it must need the spring perches and shock mounts moved.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think you are right. I have seen or heard of a K5 Blazer with a SF 14, or 4.10 gears, from the factory.....though that doesn't mean they do not exist.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm going by what I was told by the person I got the axles from... so who knows! I think he meant a Burb like you said... but maybe he didn't? Who knows....

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a 14SF 8lugger sitting here with 4.10's... [​IMG]

Interested?

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

14. Blue85

I am interested and I sent you P.M. about it.