Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

don't buy this (engine hoists)

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by K5Chris, Jan 16, 2006.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200305213&R=200305213

biggest piece of **** i've ever seen. i couldn't even assemble it because THE BOLT HOLES DO NOT EVEN LINE UP. basically, i paid $150 for a box full of red scrap metal. it's getting returned tomorrow, and those ****ers are going to have to dissassemble what i was able to get together and put it back in the box cause i sure as hell aint doing it.

anybody know who sells a decent hoist at a decent price?

EDIT: update on page 3. got the hoist swapped out for another one and im happy.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I would also like to know where to get a decent hoist at a decent price.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Suprisingly one I saw at harbor freight looked decent. I have one from autozone but I tweaked the frame using it in the in my yard so now whenever I lift something it picks up the right rear castor. I am kinda in the market for a new one too.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Weird, my neighbor got a red one at harbor freight, ~3 months ago, and it was easy to put together (I did it for him), and works really good. Diff suppliers for different parts of the country maybe?

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I actually have the 2000 pounder from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for something like $124 (give or take a few $$$) It assembled easily although, I used my own grade 8 hardware instead of the supplied metric stuff. Used it twice already and I have no complaints.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i just bought that same one today (minus the load leveler) and it seems fine. was a floor model cause its all they had left, so it was already assembled. but so far so good. im just going to throw a better set of casters on it and it should really work well.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I bought a Harbor Freight one, and the ram was bad. Took the ram back, and they gave me a new one-no hassle. Its now going on 6 years, and lost count of engine swaps performed. I did bend the boom RAISING an 18" X 30' log a few years back, but that was my fault.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i have the exact same hoist, and also had problems with holes lining up. eventually i figured out that if you try to assemble it correctly, they do line up.

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

there is absolutely no way you can line up the holes in the one i bought. its the holes that hold one of the main legs on, the legs only go on one way, and i tried the bad leg on both sides of the base. its seriously 1/4" off. i know the smaller casters are supposed to not touch the ground when the legs are down, and yes i did lift the base, and did everything imaginable to try to align the holes, but the hole in the leg was installed 1/4" too high. thats some high quality manufacture standards.

i might give it one more shot, and see if they will swap me legs, or swap out the whole thing for another one, because it is a good price.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I bought that same hoist and a engine stand came with it, poor quality instructions, and my nuts and bolts were all loose in the box, ended up 1 nut short.

11. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i have the folding one from harbor freight. works awesome, i use it for everything from engines, to lifting axles to lifting bodies off vehicles to swap cabs(we use 2 for this). im happy with it. i got it when it was on sale for like 140 bucks or so give or take

12. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the folding one from Harbor Freight is the way to go...easy to assemble and store, works great. Used it a few times

13. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

TSC or quality farming fleet, they both have them too... But 2 of my buddies have the harbor frieght ones and nothing wrong with them....

14. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

not that i really endorse parts america - in fact, i hate them - but i picked up a good hoist from schucks for $160 - and it stores really nice too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  15. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Sorry to hear you got screwed on the hoist. However, I am glad that when I clicked this link it didn't turn out to be another Crapsman Tools post. I think someone should start a post on what the ultimate garage should have, keep it reliable and affordable. I'd do it but there is no way I have enough experience with the variety of tools it would take to have a perfect garage of tools.

Oh, when I redid my bro's Mustang, we built the hoist out of old scrap and a hydro jack from wal-mart. We just welded some tube on either end of the jack so you could mount it. Didn't have the arm travel we wanted, but it got 'er done for like $30.

Al

16. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I got a "Goodyear Racing" model from Sam's Club. It was the floor model, with the load leveler. I got it out the door for less than $100.

17. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

18. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

got my 1ton from kragen. $150 and it folds up so it will tuck away on a wall

19. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I got mine at an auction for $100. Its a 2 ton ramco 5000 foldable model.
    Works great, pulled a bbc w/ all the brackets/accessories and the th400 out of a burb with no problem. I've had it for 2-3+ years.

20. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

My dad got one a long time ago from Harbor Freight "Shipwreck Tools" as he calls them. I've pulled out 4 350's 2 400's and my big block 468 with no problems at all that things is probably at least 10 years old.