Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dont do

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roz, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

ok so im a noobe, i know that welding produces UV but i had no idea that it was quite the amount to sunburn the crap out of u. lesson learned-dont weld in tank top and shorts :doah:

no input needed thanx :o :p:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cheaper than a tanning bed. :D

3. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

now if i could learn to weld behind my back........... ;)

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hehe, I get burnt every single time I go and work on the pipe fencing at the farm...

Those welding burns hurt far worse than sunburns, and last a looong time... I'm still peeling from the last burn like 2 weeks ago...

Just way too hot to wear a long sleeve shirt when you are being beat down on by the sun all day long.

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

hahahah yeah i had always heard of this but i had figured it took days to see the effects. but sure enough after only an hour or so of welding, tan lines form hahaha

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i got burned real bad once. i usually used gas shielded solid wire in the shop, but a few days, i had to work outside the shop under the awning and crane due to the size of the stuff i was doing. anyway, i had to use flux core wire to box in some 14*3*3/8" channel for some stair stringers, four levels to be exact. i worked essentially in the trinity river bottom in the texas summer heat. short sleeves is a must unless you are planing to do lots of welding. let me tell you, after two days, the inside of my right bicep was black. it peeled and hurt like hell for about two weeks. the flux core must put off more UV than solid gas shielded. never been burned like that again. lesson learned.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just burned my forearm yesterday... :doah: :D

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

must be the flux cord, thats what i was using. i dont burn easy either but only welded bout 1/2-hr maybe 45min :crazy:

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I never get burned any where except for my face. Such as if im doing a bunch of tack welds and dont feel like flipping down the mask each time. Next day your whole face is swelled up, beat red, and burns like a mofo when you move it.
    I have started using sunscreen when doing that type of welding and it doesnt happen near as bad.

10. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i've done the look away, close eyes bit too, but aftet a while my eyes get burned. so i swithed to an autodarkening hood. never going back. burnt eyes feels like someone poured hot sand into your sockets :angry1: :weld: :yikes: . if they are burned bad enough, a doc will scrape the top layer off your glassies, or it will scar and your vision will be blurry. you only got one set and they can't be replaced (at least for now anyway) so take good care of them.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i dont like the auto dark hoods, good old scan-o-rama for me

and once you weld every day for a few years even the skin around you eyes doesent get tender anymore (that might be the skin cancer eating me away though:thinking: )