Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Don't ever...from a dealer-Updated, but nothing to do with the dealer...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 4, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Truck I bought to get on the road within a month at worst will now not be on the road or even legally sellable until the fall.

Last time in my LIFE I will ever buy a vehicle from a dealer. Scummy lying sack of ****. At least with a private buyer I could accuse him of being ignorant to the problems.

#$%& #$%&@)@#!~!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Ruh roh!!!!!

3. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

Doesn't NY have lemon laws?

that sucks i'd park that thing in the dealership owners living room!

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

What happened?

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

This the red one that they guy kept coming down on the price basically 'giving it away'?

This doenst sound good :crazy:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Lemon laws only apply if the vehicle has been in the shop for the same service 3 times within about a year of original purchase. And it has to be fairly new if not brand new I believe. Thats PA anyway.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's this truck, the one in my avatar right now.

He wouldn't give me the title, he kept saying he had to register it, he had to register it by NY law and dealer regs. I got in touch with the NY DMV and found out since it was a cash sale, he was supposed to give me the title and I could do what I want with it (sell it, register it, whatever). If it's over like $1250 and/or a non cash sale, he has to register it.
    I finally talked him into NOT registering it for me last week (since it would have been a big hassle for me to get him everything he needs to reg it in my name) after I found out the tranny was bad, and I think he could sense this truck was coming very close to being parked on his lawn.
    I wanted to get the title since I was thinking I might just sell it as is to find a running truck.
    So he sends the title to NY DMV instead of just signing it over to me. I agreed to this after he told me it would take 4-5 weeks for them to mail me the title. Why did I not verify this first? Because I'm stoopid, that's why.

Well I'm very impatient, and now very distrustful. So I called DMV to check status of the title, just to make sure he actually sent it in, and I find out yes, they got it, but it was an out of state title and will take 3 months to process.

I thought this guy just screwed me by lying about the tranny. But it turns out, I'm screwed as follows:

1. Lied about the tranny being bad - I have to replace the tranny, which may be working out OK next week/this weekend if pieces fall into place right.

2. My 1 year saved-up budget for a truck has been blown on this one, and other things thinking I had the truck I'd budgeted for and could use the money elsewhere

3. I needed a truck for the summer, we have tons of work to do in the yard (a couple tons of asphalt to get rid of, a couple yards of gravel to move, 20 years of growth to remove, my dad's junk to haul out, building materials for the house, so on/so forth).
    Now I have something unusable that will simply occupy more of the space I'm trying to clean out.

4. My other car has been sold and will be picked up end of may, and I will lose the registration costs/refunds that I needed to transfer over to the truck in order to not forfeit them. Not to mention that I will be losing my third vehicle and the dodge daily driver isn't sounding so peppy lately.

5. After now knowing the tranny is shot and not knowing if any there are any other surprises waiting for me, I can't even sell the truck to get a running truck in it's place, because I don't have the title, and won't have it until after my primary timeframe of needing the truck has passed.

I have no one to blame but myself, I was stupid in my handling of this and made bad decisions repeatedly. I walked away and wasn't looking back, and then fell for the sugar coated call back of a lower price, and then my haggle down.

If I'd known it would take 3 months to get the title, I would've waited and let him register it for me after I got it inspected. He said it would take a month to get it, that's why I had him go ahead and send it in. Well, that, and I never wanted to deal with him again.

Crap, I'm getting mad again.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be back in a mood where I think of this as just another bump in the road of a great price on a good truck, and not the extreme "That SOB!" that I'm feeling right now...

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, NY is about the same.

And I can't reverse the deal since I paid cash, the bill of sale I signed says "As-is", and I already took posession of the truck.
    Part of the reason I was so trusting of this guy was because he is a dealer, and I thought if there was a disaster like this, I was protected as a consumer, unlike in a private sale.
    Not so in NY under those conditions I mentioned above, I researched it a little too late...

Dumb dumb dumb. This entire deal on my part was just that.

9. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad Ratch... I feel into the same trap, though mine was a private sale... the PO was asking for $4100 when I first saw the truck, and I took it for inspection. The shop told me not to pay more than $2500 for it, and I offered the guy $2200... he said no, I drove it back to his house, and we negotiated a bit.. I said I'd pay $2700 and no more, and he still said no... I was driving away without looking back too. He called me later than night and asked if I still wanted it, said I could have it for $2700. Should have flipped a switch in my head that if he was that easy to get down, there must be something wrong with it. After one day, I had blown the rear end out of it, after 6 months I blew the motor (which was eating oil when I bought it unbeknownst to me...) After a total of $8000+ into this truck, I realized I was taken for a ride, and should have walked away for good when he offered the lower price without a fight. I should have said $1500, and then I wouldn't feel quite so bad about it... but I know exactly how you feel.

10. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

So you have to wait for the title to come back from the DMV before they will give you plates for it? If so that's a pretty ****ty way to run things. In IL I can buy a truck, take the title to the DMV, have it transferred to my name, register the truck and get the license plates all in the same day.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, it's the same in NY, but the dealer didn't give me the title, he sent it to DMV to be changed over. I'm not sure if he's getting it changed to his name and then mailing it to me, or if he did something to get it put into my name and be mailed directly to me.

I can't register it without the title in hand when I walk into the DMV office, whether it's in my name or someone else's.

Pheonix, good to hear I'm not the only one, but sucks at the same time...

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Can you take him to small claims court? People take our dealer to court when they dont feel like paying thier service bill all the time.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I complain too much...

The title is on it's way to me from DMV, I called them yesterday and was able to have it expidited and issued yesterday. It may actually be in my hands before we go on vacation. :woot:

And... Funny how this worked out, too. My brother called me sunday and said he knew someone that needed some equipment I'd given him, wanted to know if he could sell it. I said sure, why not. He got $500 for it, and I told him to keep $100 as a commission.
    I found a junkyard tranny for $400 yesterday. The lowest one I'd found before this one was $650+core. I think I'm going to buy it and possibly avoid the donor truck my uncle was hooking me up with, I feel a little wierd about that one, even though I could probably get it down to the frame by the time I'm done stripping it...

On top of that, I feel wierdly closer to my wife since yesterday.

:woot: :woot:

Life is good today. :)

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I know how you feel. I helped my Daughter buy a car last year from a dealer. We got a very good deal on the car and it was in excellent mechanical cond.
    She had to finance it. We got all the proper paperwork in order and got it registered. The dealer was susposed to send the title to the bank that her loan was in.
    A few months later I get a call from the bank. They said they had not got the title yet. So i did some checking around and called the dealer to see what was wrong. Dealer was out of business. No forwarding address.
    Ended up filing a formal complaint against the dealer with the Utah DMV to get the title. The guy at the DMV said I would have to wait in line with the other 75 or so people that dealer had screwed out of their titles.
    Apparently he was buying the cars on credit with the titles an collatral. When He sold a car he pocketed the money instead of paying off the creditor and getting the title and sending it to where it was susposed to go. luckly Utah has a Inocent Third Party Law. That protected me and got me the title.
    I finally got the title but it took a year and a mountain of paperwork and legal issues to get it. I hope the SOB dealer is in jail now.
    I am glad the bank was understanding in this matter and did not call the loan.
    Moral of the story. Never! Never! trust a used car dealer. As long as their mouth is moving they are lying.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, that makes it easier to bear... At least in my case, DMV verified the existence of the title...

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I didn't buy the junkyard tranny for $400. Instead, I got a donor truck and pulled the entire drivetrain from it. Turns out the donor tranny has gigantic metal chunks in the oil, so I skipped that swap anyway.

Since I drained my tranny thinking I'd be swapping it, I went and filled it back up last night with GM Synchromesh fluid, as specified by the owners manual.
    It is extremely noisy, but it went into 4th and stayed in gear without grinding when I got up to speed and put it in. If I'm below a certain speed, it will grind and pop out, but pushing it up high then shifting carefully, it did fine. Overdrive even works fine. I was stoked, I might ask my guys to inspect it like this if he thinks it'll survive the dyno.
    This tranny is super-noisy, though, and still acts funny when I coast, so I'm going to have a tranny guy check it out and see if something can be done on the cheap. I'm going broke and can't afford to insure something I can't drive... Too bad the cab is so darn rusty, if it weren't, I'd really think about fixing this truck up to be more than a yard hauler/beater...

Saturday, I had a dipstick at the parts place insist I didn't need synchromesh because he worked at the dealer and he would just use 80/90. I said ok, then reread the owners manual and saw it requires synchromesh or it will fork up the synchro's.
    I have a suspicion that's what did this tranny in... It stank like gear oil when I drained it, different stink than the synchromesh juice I put in last night.