Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dont forget what today is...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GotLabs, Jun 6, 2006.

1. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

wow i cant believe i forgot with all this talk about 6-6-06 i must have forgotten... shame on me

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Big WWII fan here.................:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."

nice sig:waytogo:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Lest we never forget history.

Thanks

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

My father-in-law was 82nd airborne artillery during WW2 and jumped into most of the major campaigns in Europe. He was one of only a handful of his battalion that survived. He doesn't talk about it too much, but sometimes I can get him to open up. The stories can curl your hair. We owe so much to the greatest generation that we can never fully repay them. How appropriate that it is slap an emo kid day as well. Ingratitude galls me............

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Watching Band Of Brothers right now....we should never forget the brave that lost everything to help those that had nothing.:usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

8. Desert Rat

Saving Private Ryan always rips me up at the end. Finding people with a true understanding of honor, integrity, sacrifice, and loyalty is becoming harder and harder. When those virtues are found in any person, latch onto them and hold on for dear life...... Conversely, those who would snivel, whine, and cut themselves because they don't have the latest X-Box, have restrictions on their cel phone in Jr. High School, and who never think beyond the next hour should be avoided like the plague.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

My Gramps was a Marine through WWII, he would never talk about it. I pressed him once and he gave me a look that made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I never asked about it again. Grandma said his most beloved buddy was blown to bits all over him among other horrific events. She told me a few things so I would understand why he never spoke about it. You'd never know he had that inside unless the subject came up. He was a big guy but kind as could be. I sure miss the hell out of him, he was a good man.

10. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

That generation had what it took with there back to the wall. Thank you to anyone who served in a uniform. I get to be fat and lazy, and drive a GMC because of you.

11. Desert Rat

I hear you. My father-in-law gets that thousand yard stare when he starts to reminisce. With all the things I've seen over the last two decades plus, they can't hold a candle to the carnage he went through. He fought in WW2, the Korean War, and was an advisor in ROC during Vietnam. People of his caliber didn't ask, they just did.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, great day in history for sure. As far as being the "Greatest Generation"... IMO we have just as good men in uniform today as we did in 1944... maybe better. Big difference is that in '44 everyone at HOME was 100% behind the grunts... now its more like 50%. The Greatest Generation tag, for me, is talking about the people at home more than it is the people at the front. They gave the troops all the support they could and they were practically fanatical when it came to their industriousness in support of the war effort. There was no Cindy Sheehan in 1944... and if there were, some wise neighbor probably just slapped the crap out of her for being an idiot before she even had a chance to became "famous". :usaflag:

j

13. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

Ever hear the phrase "a spine is a terrible thing to waste." All our men and women who serve and who have served know this first hand. My we remember their efforts and learn from them as well. I too also salute all the Men and women who Serve. Thank you and God Bless

14. Desert Rat

Very well said, hear hear.....

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

:bow:

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status