Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dont have much clue about engines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suburban n progress, Nov 9, 2005.

1. suburban n progress

suburban n progress Registered Member

BUt i can get a complete..minus water pump a ?"vortec"? 350 out of a late 90's truck that had its fuel injection removed and a new intake manifold to set it up for a carb..and was wondering if this would "A'' bolt into my 1986 suburban sm465 and the new hooker headers and exhaust i just put on will bolt up..he wants 400 bucks for it..hes bailing on a project and gave me dibs on the motor. He says he has a turbo 350 and dana 300 to bolt to it so i figured if he has a turbo 350 than my tranny should bolt on to the back of this..MY suburban has 42's and this kinda engine could bring back some new life and sell my current running engine that has 156xxx miles on it..Please let me know ID appreciate very much..

2. Mat Boardway

Mat Boardway Registered Member

That vortec engine will hook up to your old tranny and fit in your Sub without a problem. The one thing that is different is the flexplate. You probably have an older 2 piece rear main seal motor currently installed. Other than that it is pretty easy swap. Just to keep in mind a good set of Vortec heads tend bring 350 bucks plus. So 400 bucks for a complete running motor is fairly good deal.

Mat

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Im not 100% sure about your headers bolting up. I know the Vortecs use a different intake manifold then the old SBC.

4. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

yep the headers will work

5. suburban n progress

good stuff..yeah the guy wants 400 bucks for the motor..and has a turbo 350 and a dana 300 i prefer my sm465 cause of the granny gear..and its proven strength..I was asking a few buddies here and there confused about the intake manifold...going from fuel injection,,to carb..they havent seen or heard of the intake to do that yet..and my buddy said he has a new edelbrok carb i could have for it if it works..Other than a water pump and installing the intake and carb he said its a runnin motor?? IM waiting on some more info from the guy but have seen pics of it on the engine stand..Very clean motor.. Hope all works out :D :D

6. Mat Boardway

Mat Boardway Registered Member

Edelbrock makes Carb intakes for Vortec heads. Check out Summit or Jegs.

Mat

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

The Edelbrock Vortec intakes... The RPM Air Gap is part #7516, regular RPM is #7116 and Performer is #2116.

8. suburban n progress

okay so i got ahold of jegs for the right intake carb and gaskets and bolts..thanks again..now the other problem was my clutch flywheel pressure plate??? Anyone know how or where or which flywheel ill need?? So far im not at all going over a budget to stick a much needed newer engine in the burban especially since i can sell a good ole runnin engine..Just trying to figuer out whats going to be needed to make my tranny work with it

9. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

I just changed over my 87 from 700r to 465 ya can get a new flywheel at napa mine was like 93$ I did not go hyd just manuel because I had those parts bought a clutch kit for a 81 model so far so good

10. suburban n progress

Okay cool..my 465 is a hydr line set up..kinda like it that way cause its also a exterior slave cylinder :D makes life easy..And no damn z bar in the way :D So iLL call napa and ask them for a fly wheel for that engine to mate it up to a 465?? I hope its that simple.. I cant wait.the guy finally emailed back, 52xxx miles on it :D I guess im going to have to get a new starter too:( but i guess its worth it..So who knows i might get started on it soon..i think he said its 98 or97 year came out of a truck..so good stuff..ANY OTHER INFO OR PART #'S are always appreciated

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if your engine is the factory original 86 engine or at least an 87+ engine, you will not have to change your flywheel, although while you've got it apart it might not be a bad idea to change the clutch and have the flywheel surfaced. the easiest way to tell is look at the back of the oil pan, between the block and the flywheel, you should see this rear main seal adapter. if it has it, the flywheel will work.

IMAG0225.JPG

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You won't find a Vortec mated to a 465. (at least in a light duty truck)

The easiest thing to tell the parts counter is 1990 K5 with 4 speed manual, that is as mentioned if you don't already have a one piece rear main motor.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anything 86+ equipped with a small block and a manual trans will work.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was under the impression '86 was a transitory year, but in any case, I just don't trust most counter people nor their computers, but it's hard to screw up the part listing for a 1990 full size blazer 4 speed.

15. suburban n progress

cool deal so im good with the fly wheel i hope..Um the attached pic i cant see i guess cause im not a paying memeber.(not yet but soon) So i hope so..yeah i figured id replace the clutch with a good one i heard oem was the best clutch to go with instead of centerforce..Anyways I hope to get it this or next weekend and get everything done to the motor then spend a weekend putting it in..Thanks a lot for everyones input..So im basically looking at a newer motor..probably doubling my power and torque?? and its a bolt on correct..god i hope its as easy as it sounds..and IM gonna have to keep the ac.. :D

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

86 was the transition year. anything newer than 86 will definitely have a 1 pc RMS, and the proper weighted flywheel. even if it is the original engine, there is a possibility that it got a leftover 85 engine, in which case, it wouldnt be a 2 pc RMS engine. a 2 pc engine requires a neutral balanced flywheel, unless its a 400 SBC. dont worry, you cannot physically bolt the wrong flywheel to a 1pc RMS engine, as they changed the bolt pattern altogether.

email me at OneFaastC10@aol.com, and i'll send you the pic so you know what you're looking for.