Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Nov 10, 2000.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, im going to try and explain this the best I can. Sorry for any confusion. When i stop if feels like my rear end sinks, it does the same when i take off too. It doesn't do it on hills. I dont know if that helps any. It happened when i was tightening the yoke to my rear differential. Something snapped, it was pretty loud. I havent had time to look at anything yet, but it didnt sound like it came from the differential. I have no clue what the problem is, so ANYTHING will help.

Thanks

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'll try........sounds like the "normal" rotation of the pumpkin-chevy-axle wrap thing. Do you have blocks under your springs? My Blazers have always done this.......but all were lifted at lest 2.5" over stock with blocks. Have heard that if you use spring only lift (either shackle flip or lift springs) the axle wrap is diminished or gone. Not sure myself, that project will be next to do.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

3. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

yes, i do have a 4" lift with blocks on the back. If it is axle wrap, is it something i need to be worried about? If so, what can i do to fix it?

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Install "kicker shocks".
    They mount Horizontally from the spring perch to the front of the rear leaf springs. They are designed to eliminate axle wrap.
    Kinda like Ladder bars that go on Muscle cars.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Not necessarily anything to worry about, just sort of a fact of life with block-lifted trucks. Mine has done this with 2.5" blocks for a few years now, nothing has broken or worn out. I believe, however, it is best to solve the wrap problem, think the solution (can't say it really works 'cause I haven't actually experienced the fix myself) is either a shackle flip lift or the 4" rear springs. Both methods eliminate the blocks.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ar you aware that the rear yoke needs to be tightened to a certain spec? There is a crush sleeve in there to take up the "slop". If its too tight or too loose it will cause damage to the ring and pinion. I've never experienced axle wrap, but it sounds like this happened all of a sudden after you were working on the rear yoke. Good Luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

how tight does the rear yoke need to be tightened?

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm not really sure. I was lucky enuff to have a guy rebuild mine for 13 bucks and a 12 pack of beer. I know its done in inch pounds. He told me that mine wasn't tight enuff and I about dropped a ball and chipped a tooth trying to crank it down after I replaced my yoke.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just a note on kicker shocks - they look real nice, but on my first 79 K5 did nothing to help axle wrap at all. Just my experience.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I had 4" blocks on the rear of my K5. I also would get axel wrap, then one day while wheelin up a hill,TWIST[​IMG]POW[​IMG] my rear end busted the driveshaft off and granaded the posi unit in my Corp12bolt[​IMG]!!!
    Now I run a Dana 60 in the rear and replaced the blocks with 5 1/2" Superlift spring packs. No more axel wrap for me![​IMG]!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com