Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Don't mind me if I seem a little chipper today...Biopsy turned out OK.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 16, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Just got back from a long awaited doctors appointment.

To vaguely quote him:
    "I didn't see anything visually, but call me in 10 days, I took a biopsy so we'll know for sure."

I'm very happy. For the past two months, I've been agonizing over the idea that I might not live to see my kids graduate high school, or ever get to be a grandpa.
    I've had acid reflux for about 15 years. The last time I saw my doctor he wanted to check me for any signs of pre-cancer of the esophagus, and that's what we did today. My uncle died of esophagial cancer 6 months after he was diagnosed, as do many people that find it.

So I'm pretty happy about this. It could also be the anesthesia, but I think that's worn off by now... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Good to hear, best of wishes to you. Live life to the fullest. :thumb:

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I hope the biopsy turns out ok. My uncle passed away about 2 days after learning that he had esophagial cancer. I was in the hospital having 14" of my intestine removed when he got sick and went to the ER. It was my Dad's brother, and my Dad felt bad about not making it to visit me but once, bit I told him not to worry about it because I would be fine. I suggested he should go see his brother instead, and I guess it was a good thing he did. :frown1:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks, me too.
    Sorry to hear about your uncle.
    That's not far off from what I've researched on this cancer, the survival rate is pretty slim and it becomes lethal pretty quick after discovery. I had considered myself out of the running for it two or three years ago when I had the full tests, etc, and went on medication (Prevacid) for it full time. Then when I went to get a refill in april, he said he was becoming concerned and wanted to check me for any pre-cancerous signs because of some other symptoms I'd had. That got me thinking a lot about life and values and little things.
    Heck, I work in New York City, I could die violently tomorrow. But at least I feel MUCH better that he didn't find anything standing out today. It's an odd feeling to think "Hey, I might only have 6 months to 3 years to live". To not know and just think it may be tht way or may not be is pretty frustrating.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it is scary when your married with kids. my wife is tough but i worry about audric.you are in my prayers brother. :)

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not fun is it....

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2001--it turned out after the operation to remove the "cancerous" testicle it was "pre-cancerous",and not a benign tumor like they thought...so they gave me a clean bill of health--I often feel like I'm dying of something just the same-I still have some pretty bad pain in the area they operated on me--I would not be suprised if I do have cancer in some other organ now,or maybe its just fatigue from the way I've had to live lately and depression,or if I'm just entering "old fartdom"... :blush:

All I know is my energy level is nowhere near what it used to be,I tire easily and am always sore and I cant do half what I did 10 years ago...I look at friends older than me who leave me in the dust,and they smoke 2 packs of ciggaretts a day!!..I'm wondering if since my operation was paid by medicare if they just did a quick "snip and tuck" and didn't do a thourogh job of looking for any cancer anywhere else...I suppose I'd be dead or much sicker by now if that were the case--but it does weigh heavy on your mind.,wondering if something IS really wrong-

-I've been hesitant to go to a doctor because I have no insurance other than a state sponsered plan that might be expired by now,and no cash to spare-(I have a few teeth that should get attention pronto,before any other medical issues!)..another reason I havent gone is if there is something wrong,it seems as soon as someone gets a diagnosis(aka :death sentence:),they die a short time later--I know several people who felt lousy for years and never went to a doctor or did anything but complain about it---when they finally relented and went,and got the sad news,it seemed like they died almost immediately afterward!..once the doctor "confirms" their fears,it must start the death process or something!-.

-I witnessed this firsthand,when a doctor was treating my dads cuts after a car accident--he noticed his hands shaking,and the doctor remarked-"oh, I see you have a touch of Parkinsons huh?"....as soon as he said it my dad vomited,and nearly passed out!..(he had suspected he did,but that was his confirmation--until then he kept his symptoms hidden from all of us--we were pissed at the doctor for being blunt,but he did not know my dad was not oficially diagnosed!)...after that it was all downhill--my dad did live for 10 more years--but he was in sad shape,bedridden most of the time,and unable to do the things he wanted.(I think he "died" the minite the doctor told him he had Parkinsons)..I hope its quicker when its my turn to go...though I haven't felt "good" in many years already.. :frown1:

So I'm living every day one at a time...doing all I can on my limited funds--going to concerts,working on my junks,watching the 3 Stooges a lot--all the things I like to do--some think I'm selfish--but I'm not--I'm doing what Tim McGraw's song says to do--"Live Like You Were Dying"!..(and I'm NOT a big fan of his!--I think he gets too much airplay!--but thats another rant!).Its a true statement,for we begin to die the minite we are born!--.too many people live lives they hate,work at jobs they hate,and live in places they hate..I am tired of being one of them!..
    I want to ENJOY at least a few of life's pleasures before I croak!...not spend my life working,sleeping,working,and no fun,or time to have any!...one of my biggest regrets was spending so much time working,( for too little pay!)-and too little time looking for a mate--now its kinda late to start a family,even if I could find a woman!(not that I would want to bring any kids in this world anyway! :screwy: )..but I'm starting to realize I'm likely to spend my life alone--not what I wanted exactly..but I guess I could be divorced,bitter,and broke too..maybe I'm lucky??

Now I have to try to find a job I can actually DO,and not tire me out so much I cant do anything else...I'd like to find something to do thats not boring,not too physically demanding,and has a decent wage--not expecting a miracle,I'd settle for 9-10 bucks an hour if it was a job I liked(then its not work!)..but things in the working world here are not so employee friendly.they treat people like robots...they want maximum work at minimum wage,little job security,most places only hiring part time and no benifits...minorities get first dibs now too,thanks to affermative action..and they want you to pee in a cup before they will even consider you at all..

( I dont like being "tested"--its an invasion of privacy,whether you take drugs or dont!-they never tested people in years past,and drugs are nothing new-it didnt take employers long to figure out someone had a drug problem then,and they would either fire them or get them help--I very seldom drink,dont take pills or illegal drugs,but If I refuse to submit to a test,I'm automatically disqualified--thats unfair,my personal life is nobodys bussiness but mine!--If I want to drink after work,I feel its my right too--it is (was) a free country! -as long as I dont do it at work,I dont see what the big deal is..:mad: )-

-I'm not so sure I COULD go back to work for someone else after being my own boss for so long!...Its gonna be real tough,but I have to do something,and soon..time is running out--yet all I wanna do is play!--just following Gods orders--he said he wants us to be happy! :screwy: :dunno: :tongue1: :frown1:...are we?? :confused:

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My Dr. just called me back. The biopsy came back showing only inflammation, no Barrett's or pre-cancer. :cool1:

"Stay on the prevacid indefinately." :(

I was hoping it would come back saying everything is hunky dory, do whatever you've been doing, but I guess the inflammation is from reflux I can't feel happening. I had changed my dosage from Dr. prescribed 1 pill a day to 1 pill every 4 days or so, combined with drastically changing my diet to be much softer and less aggressive (entirely cut out coffee, too).
    I realllllllly wanted to get off the pills, I hate the idea that I'll be semi-dependent on a pharmecuetical company for another 40(?) years.

This is SWEET!! I was feeling good that it would come out OK, but confirmation of that breaks up those little "It could still be bad" feelings.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

No coffee? Holy crap I'd kill myself.

That's the part I hate about aging, wondering when it's going to fall off.

Glad your negative dude, what a relief.

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Good news Ratch!! :D

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

glad to hear RATCH. :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: hug the fam.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Better than the alternative. Great news. :thumb:

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Awesome cool!!!

I guess not ALL the good folks die young... ;)

Seriously... I guess throat area cancer is pretty bad stuff... my aunt recently got diagnosed with throad cancer thanks to years and years of smoking, and she went not even a month later :( So perhaps we shouldn't mess around with that, or how about any cancer?

13. google

google 1/2 ton status

no coffee is better than no penis :D

can I say penis on the radio? :blush:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how true..

Good News!...glad your going to LIVE!.. :D ...now you can worry about all the other stuff again...

No coffee?--ah,well--its better than no sex,or no stomach!
    I'd give up a LOT of things,and take pills all day long if I could have back what they took out of ME!.... :frown1: ....

15. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

good news, best wishes, what a roller coaster ride

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks all...

Giving up coffee SUCKED, but I'm over it now. Worse than givign up the coffee was giving up the "day start marker" that coffee was... I still haven't replaced it yet.
    I think about stopping at Starbucks and I can't understand why I would... And I used to drink that crap every morning. Like drinking battery acid...

Eds77K5, thanks, chatting with you about it back then was helpful to my attitude and outlook about this.

Thanks for the comments guys!

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Glad things turned out good for you. :)

Good Stuff
    I had a dead battery. Poured a cup of their Yukon Blend in it. Man...... Sparks started arcing between the tremanials.