Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Don't tell my wife, but I'm a proud dad tonight!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sarasotausmc, Oct 1, 2006.

1. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So my 13 yo got in his first fight today, sticking up for his friend that was getting whooped pretty good. My son got three good ones in, until he broke his hand (boxer's fracture) and the other kid ran away crying. Just got back from 5 hours at the emergency room, and now he gets to realize the consequences of fighting, you know, pain, limitations of not having a useful hand for a while, etc.

He got the crap scared out of him by the sheriff's deputy who told him that it technically boils down to the fact that he assaulted the other kid, but, told me when he was done taking the statement that it's a boys being boys thing. Hospital was required to call the sheriff because it involved a fight.

Sucks that I can't really say "good job", and had to give him a hard time about fighting. But inside, I'm saying "that's my boy".

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is awesome!! Gotta love the free medical. Glad your boy came out on top, Ill congratulate him next time I see him.:D

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

SWEEEEEET!!!! hes not a punk, you SHOULD be proud daddy!!!!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

4. sarasotausmc

No doubt about that. I'm $2.50 in his 13 years of medical crap. That bill was the day he was born. I have no clue what it would have cost me without it.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Not to sound like a dick or anything but why did He get involved in the fight? Sure his buddy was getting whooped but if it's one on one then I see no reason to step in. Getting beat up is not nearly as bad as someone else fighting your fight for you. Obviously if someone is getting the crap kicked out of them by someone 6' 5" 250 and they are only like 5' 2" 120 then yeah I can see someone stopping it.

6. sarasotausmc

Yeah, his friend is small, like pygmy small. I really wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of dwarfism or similar. I'll post a pic one day if I ever get one of him.

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Was it the kid with him at the house? If so, then I can confirm that that kid is small, really small.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well in that case He did the right thing. Nothing worse than the school bully.

9. sarasotausmc

Yeah Tim, the red headed one.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

first off congrats, your son is a good person. Glad he helped his friend in need. Second, don't search google images for "redhead midget" with the safe filter off! Good grief, not one useable picture

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's a painful break, I did that many many years ago and never got it set.

Good for your son to help out his friend. :waytogo:

Rene

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good for him for sticking up for a friend but this

is incomplete at best. Those are the LEAST important potential consequences of getting in a fight these days. I am not saying I agree with this but unfortunately the world is a different place than when most of us grew up and you can lose a job or your freedom and have permanent ramifications in your life for even a high school fight these days. You should also explain these things to him. I know that my kids and my nephew will be raised with the reasoning that fighting is for protecting yourself from serious harm only, a little pop in the mouth never killed anyone; and in no circumstance do you fight for pride or anger. I saw my fair share of fights in my day and I wish two men could still settle things like that and not fear retribution or escalation but that is not the way the world is now.

Not meaning any of this in a bad way, and I do think it shows some strength of character for your son to do that, just think the wrong person could really blow a situation way out of proportion and cause him some problems.

13. sarasotausmc

I agree with you 100% gjk5. We've been having that talk all night long. I just didn't have to post that part to get my point across. He's 13 and this was his first fight, so he's doing something right.

Hindsight being 20/20, I think he should have put the kid in a headlock, and let the smaller one literally put a boot on his butt a few times. No harm done, embarrassment lasts a long time, plus it would make a funny story.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    That's the perfect scenario there! And it would make for a great story.:D

15. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Uhh Brandon what did you go looking for?????:haha:

16. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wanted to find a picture of the little kid they were talking about and make a joke post... but the search kinda scared me so I gave up in a hurry

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

good for your son.. bullies do what they do 'cause nobody stops them. I know you can't outright condone fighting, BUT next time, have him hold his fist vertically when he punches.. that keeps the hand breakage to a minimum, and directs more energy to the target..

Tom

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I had a friend that son had the same thing happen... I told him to rent the movie "Coward of the County" with Kenny Roggers in it... To let his son know that there are times to fight and times that you shouldn't...

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats. It takes a lot for a kid to jump in and do the right thing. It's ashame that you have to jump him about it - I am looking down the barrel of the same problem soon enough. And the fracture - mine has healed up nicely. Twice. Just a small lump to remind you......