Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Don't think it was a dana 60, what was it???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Mar 31, 2002.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Don\'t think it was a dana 60, what was it???

Found an old truck behind a gas station it east texas today and thought i had found a gold mine. Walked passed it and it was a 78-87 body style, had no decals, but just looking at it when i walked past, it had huge hubs on the front, and a 14 bolt in the rear. Didn't want to start looking to much, because i didn't know the area to well, and well it's east texas. So i went in the gas station and asked who owned it, and the lady behind the counter said her father did and got him for me. He told me it wasn't worth much and it was a 79 body on a 75 frame. So i looked at the truck with his permission and found the front axle wasn't a dana 60. I don't know what it is, but it has 8 lugs, HUGE manual locking hubs, ball joints, but the axle tubes weren't very large. The truck was also standard. So what transmission and transfer case are in this thing????? SM465 and a NP 205??? and do ya'll know the spline count?? cause i'm looking for all the parts for a doubler. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!!!! - Thanks doug

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Don\'t think it was a dana 60, what was it???

probably a 44 w/ external ubs. those puppies are big.

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

probibly a dana 44 front. the old ones had huge lockout hub's. check it out again and look at the passinger side u bolt's. if it only has one u bolt and 2 bolt's that go into the housing it is a 60. dana 44 will have 2 u bolt's. both 44 and 60 will have 2 u bolt's on driver's side. as for the tranny and transfor it is more than likly a 10 spline count.

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Anyone definately know the spline count???????

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

They didn't even start the 32 spine SM465 until about '85, so it's a 95% chance that it is a 10 spine connectection.

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Definitely 10 spline.

Will