Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dont trash old hard drives

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daimok, Aug 7, 2003.

1. daimok

daimok Registered Member

I am sure everyone has at one time had a hard drive die. If you have a old or dead drive hanging around , dont trash it , tear it apart and you will find inside some of the STRONGEST magnets you can get. These are really strong magnets ( 2 of them ). I cant even pull them off steel , gotta slide them off. Great for hanging stuff to paint , hide a key replacement, oil pan, etc. The magnets are also mounted to a steel plate so is real easy to mount (plate has 2 holes already )

Daimok

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I am sure everyone has at one time had a hard drive die. If you have a old or dead drive hanging around , dont trash it , tear it apart and you will find inside some of the STRONGEST magnets you can get. These are really strong magnets ( 2 of them ). I cant even pull them off steel , gotta slide them off. Great for hanging stuff to paint , hide a key replacement, oil pan, etc. The magnets are also mounted to a steel plate so is real easy to mount (plate has 2 holes already )

Daimok

[/ QUOTE ]

There called actuator magnets....and YES, there have a VERY strong magnetic field. Like "don't have your finger underneath it when it starts to stick" kind of strong...OUCH! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(I've worked for quite a few drive companies... Quantum, Maxtor, Fujitsu...so I've seen my share of those magnets hanging on cubicle walls.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Never thought about putting those in a pan... but thats a really good idea because those are really strong magnets.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Good for finding rust, (lives in the Midwest) They will stick together through your arm....

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thought you were gonna bring up the fact that a number of years ago IBM sunk a whole bunch of old hard drives to make an artificial reef. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

NIB magnets rule. (Neodymium, Iron, Boron) I have them every where in my truck. One in each of the diff covers, one in the oil pan and two under the hood for holding nuts and bolts and tools so I know where they are when I need them. And be very carefull when you have two of them. They can attract each other at dangerous velocity, and they are brittle. Little pieces can come flying at your eyes. Not too much danger with the hard drive versions, but I got to play with some big ones in Physics class. Just keep them away from your TV. And dont put them in your pocket with your wallet. Your credit cards wont work anymore. That might be a good thing for some us, though.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool, thanks for a few ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: don\'t trash old hard drives

very cool i have like 10 old ones laying around that are good for nothing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif they are all under 1gig

10. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Good to know. I've got a few dead hard drives laying around. I like the under the hood idea to hold nuts & bolts! I'm gonna tear into them!

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I use the magnets from old speakers everywhere in my garage,since its a metal quonset hut type building,use then to stick stuff too the walls,keep all those little clips and ball bearings from getting away while you rebuild a carb,under the hood to keep all the bolts etc,out of your engine and from getting lost.My favorite is one from a 15 inch woofer that accidently had a nearby 12 volt hotwire melt across the speaker wires--when the smoke cleared I found the magnet the only thing worth keeping! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI'm gonna look for some hard drives at the landfill I think! Thanks for the tip. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think those new hi-power amps and speakers are very annoying,you can hear them over 1/2 mile away--I'd like to get my hands on those magnets,then I could get some sleep! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I pulled a couple out of a 660MB 5 1/4" SCSI drive and they would stick through your wrist. I showed my wife and they slid around and pinched the skin together to make a nasty bruise /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's a wonder we're still married. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif