Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doo-dad of the month!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Mar 4, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

For folks who like to keep a clean truck (or don't like repairing rust or get dirt in your eyes every time you breathe under your truck while wrenching on it) I found a nifty little thing! You've prolly seen it on tv. It's made by Simoniz and it's for washing your truck. It was like 20 bucks and it's a wand that screws into your water hose. You fill up the little cup with soap, screw it onto the wand and turn the water on, and then turn the little knob on the wand to 'rinse' or 'soap' and you've got semi pressurized water. The little head is angled and it swivels around. The wand is about 3 feet long I guess. It came with two brushes, but I didn't care about those...I just wanted the wand thing. It's great! I just got done washing the top of my gas tank! You can get everything with it!
    I turn it on the soap setting, spray everything down, and it softens the mud or dirt and then rinse it off. Sweet! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif. So, anyway...thought I'd pass it along. I've seen it at stores. If you do order it on tv, be prepaired to beat telemarketers. *rolls eyes* But it was worth it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Got any pics of it? Or website?

3. muddin4fun

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I bought one of those and within an hour of trying it out it broke. The "brittle" plastic handle snapped, and I wasn't doing anything unusual, just washing the car. I felt ripped off. Just thought I'd share. I guess you get what you pay for haha.

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine who is a plumber made something like that out of commonly available parts from hardware stores. The spray nozzle was a flattened piece of copper pipe. Plumbing type hardware is not expensive and not easy to break. I plan to make one one of these days and I'll post some how to instructions and pics.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I don't think that little thing is going to wash off caked on Oklahoma red clay. I give the pressure washers at the local car wash a run for their money. Would be good for my car, though.

7. muddin4fun

It was washing off clay...believe me! We've got clay down here too...that's why the roads are so bad /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I spent an hour and $10 at the car wash last night just trying to get back down to the paint on my rig after the Mega Run. I think I'm gonna try one of those. I have also got to find a better way to clean off the more sensitive components like drag link ends and tie rod ends. I got most the mud off, but the steering is tougher now. I need to get out the grease gun this weekend.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just be carefull washing the top of the tank on older K5's. The tank is vented to the atmosphere on any of the trucks that predate the EVAP can (79 has sealed vent but my 75 doesn't I'm thinking this showed up 77ish). The vent is right on top of the tank. A dirrect shot could get water in your tank.
    That said it sounds like a handy tool. I know I have spent a fair amount of cash at the local car wash and faced the rath of a pissed off owner as a result of plugging his drains. I do have a big was place near me that can accomidate dump trucks and they have a oversized clean out pit for this. My front outside water is before my water pressure regulator for my house. I have about 80psi Street pressure. I can get some good pressure to clean. Problem is we have been under water restictions due to drougt for the last 3 years /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard that mud is the best undercoating to protect from rust, so I leave it filthy till I need to work on it.

11. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I am totally gonna get me one of these.

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Long time ago... :haha: