Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dood Where my lift pump?!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey uhh.. I thoguht the lift pump was supposed to be on the passenger side of the engine. How big is this sucker? I think Im missing a lift pump!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Prolly electric and frame mounted on your truck...could be in the tank too. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The mechanical lift pumps on 6.2's are in the same place as on a small block...although very hard to get to.

Rene

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, remember that sound of a fuel pump I was asking about a while ago? I know there is this "frame mounted" pump right below the cab- I just didnt know that it was the *only* pump. (I thought it was just the helper).

I best get another pump I think. (as a spare). Also, I read on thedieselpage that these pumps are prone to failure, usually because of debris getting caught inside, and that a filter before the pump was recommended.

im thinking of just bypassing the model 80 standayne filter that I have, and fitting a permacool 2 micron fuel filter/water seperator before the pump. Is this a bad idea?

4. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I put an electric fuel pump on my K5 on the frame just under the passenger side door. I also put a filter on the tank side. It has been on there 3 years and never had a problem. Of course I change the filter when i change my oil.

Phillip TK5

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

what kinda pump did you put in? I was just wonderinf if you could ever put *too* much pressure in the line. I was gonna use the standard TBI fuel pump in tank for my aux tank, but thought the 15psi or so it puts out would have been too much?

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Higher pressure changes the timing advance unit operation, and it may be harmful to the lift pump inside the injector pump. I really dont know how much the timing would change, it may be negligible, it may not. As far as the internal lift pump, I do not know what kind of inlet pressure it can see without being affected, but if the factory wanted 6-10 psi or whatever, I would stick to that. The pressurizing valve in the injector pump should however set the max pressure in the system, but again, I wouldnt risk it, just use a parts store inline pump works from 6-10 psi or so.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

how much do the elec pumps usually run? cheap - high i had an issue with the mech pump and its shaft had been broke. this found out after i bought the truck and havent had it running due to being last on project list atm and a cash shortage for my project list /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

34 bucks I think from Pepboys- I got a spare one from there two weeks ago. Generates max of 4-5PSI's, and up to 45 GPH.