Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door adjustment/alignment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iblyles, Jan 25, 2004.

1. iblyles

iblyles Newbie

Does any body know the trick for adjusting Blazer doors? I replaced my old worn out door hinges and now I can't figure out how to adjust the doors. With the doors installed there is no way to get a wrench or socket onto the hinge to frame bolts. Help me please I am stupmed. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what exactly is it doing? where is the door tight/close?

3. iblyles

iblyles Newbie

There is a pretty big gap at the front of the driver's door and it is way to close at the back. The doors also seem really stiff like the hinges aren't aligned right (maybe cocked) between the frame and the doors. Is there any way to loosen the hinges up (without taking the doors off again) and make the adjustments so they operate smoothly and line up right? I do most of my own work but this is my first try at body work.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats the adjustment at the post. simple with fender off (ya just align to the cab), but doable with on.

open the door, loosen all 6 to the post. jiggle the door forward. jack the front of the door up to where the lower edge looks like the right height for the sill. tighten one top and one bottom. gently close door.

if your lower height is correct and you need to move the door forward or back some, leave one of those 2 tight as a pivot. loosen the other, move door, tighten bolt. reverse process, leave that one tight, move other in. you may need to do this a couple times. to make these minor adjustments it's best to have the door as closed as possible. say if you need to tighten the gap up top, loosen that top bolt, put floor jack at bottom back of door and jack it.

there are special wrenchs for this. but i generally just use 1/4 drive stuff..

if you have in/out issue thats the bolts to the door, far easier...

5. iblyles

iblyles Newbie

Awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    Thanks for the tips - I think the 1/4 drive tip will be the one that makes all the difference! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My fiance has been getting pretty tired of helping hold up the doors while I monkey around with the bolts... Guess I need to head off the the local Sears when it warms up some and get a real floor jack!

Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif