Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Adjustment?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wkasak, Jun 28, 2002.

1. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I own a 1989 Fullsize Blazer, and need some information on how to re-align the doors. The doors scrap at the top rear corners. I just replaced the body mounts with the hope of helping with the door alignment, but no luck. How do you re-align the doors on these trucks, it appears that you may have to remove the front fenders to access the bolts for re-alignment. I hope not, but I would appreciate any feedback on how fellow K5 owners have done this. Will replacing the hinges or pins help? Thanks in advance.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Are your hinges sagging?? Have they ever been replaced??

3. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

if you loosing the 6 bolts holding the door to the hinge you can adjust them about 1/2" up and down and side to side. a friend helping makes this much easeir as each door is about 85lbs
    keith

4. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

The original factory hinges don't appear to have alot of play in them. When I grab to bottom of the door and lift up and down, the body moves. The truck is 13 years old, so I was going to try and re-align first, then replace the hinges if neccessary. I appears that I need to access the bolts that mount to the body, because it looks like the back needs to come up more then the front. The bolts that mount between the door and hinge look like they will move the entire door(front and back)up and down, left and right. How much up and down play is too much?

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

go to a body shop and get the little shims. They are little U shapped peices. Loosen the door bolds and slide in and tighted done. It doesn't take a lot of shim to move the door a whole lot either.