Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86IAK5, Oct 10, 2000.

1. 86IAK5

86IAK5 Newbie

My drivers side door on the latch side has sagged enouph to cause the hinged side to rub on the fender. According to the repair manuel it can be adjusted. The bolts from the hinge to the truck need to be loosened. Can this be done with the door on or does it have to come off?? My truck has power windows and locks. If the door comes off how do I disconnect that black rubber tube with the wires inside that runs from the inside of the truck into the door?? I'm new to the world of blazers, all help is appreciated.

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Your door can be adjusted with it on the truck.. I just did mine.. and they line up perfect with all the body lines.
    You'll need a friend to help out.. I took my fenders off to get to the door hinge bolts.. it's easier to adjust the door with it closed and fender off.
    So then you just loosen up the bolts enough to where the door is loose, then have a friend lift up on the door til it lines up with the body lines, and tighten away.
    Then you might need to adjust the door striker bolt..
    Very easy.. just use a torx bit.. big one to loosen the striker and move it up/down in/out till the door closes perfectly. Both my doors close perfect with just a small shove.
    Hope this helps.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would also like to point out that there are bushings in the hinge pins the wear out and can be replaced that may be contributing to this problem. The red help section in most chain parts stores sells them Pretty cheap. I know the older trucks also had a problem with fatigue cracks in the door carcus around the upper hinge. Not sure if it was corrected when your truck came out but both the door on my 75 had the problem. Inspect for that.
    Like the other guys said it is easier to adjust the door with the fender off. Now the easiest thing to do is unbolt the whole front clip and move it foward the 2 inches you need. There is only about 10 bolts hold the front clip to the truck and frame but there is like 20+ bolts holding each fender to the clip and many are a real pain to get at. You should have enough play that you will not need to undo radiator hoses and A/C stuff. Be sure to keep track of shims where the fenders bolt to the body.
    Make some marks on the hinges before you start adjusting to give you a reference point.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

I find that a floor jack works great for this job. Open the door, position the floor jack underneath and raise till it makes contact slightly. Loosen the door hinge bolts, and lift the door by hand (the jack mainly is there to support the door weight until you're ready to adjust - this works great when you don't have a buddy too) and then tighten when aligned. Lower the jack down and close the door. Check alignment and re-adjust if needed.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew