Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door and fender hanging advice needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Oct 18, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok i picked up a new door and fender tonite but on the way home realized that i dont have a clue how to do it. I took a look through some books and have the basic idea but wanted to get some expert advice on how to make it as painless as possible and look straight. Also the door i picked up had manual windows in it how hard will it be to put the motor and other stuff from my old door into it?? Thanks

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's not that bad. I'm not sure if this is valid for as new of a truck as you have but the front fenders where it bolts to the core suport has a BUNCH of bolts that are not easy to get to on the pre 81 trucks.
    The fender at the cowel has shims so make sure to keep track of them when you take the old one off and use those as a starting place.
    Alinging the door is the hard part. to start with DO NOT loosen the hinge where it bolts too the door post. more than likly it will be about right. The for aft adjustment is a booger with the fender on. If you do the fender first and use the door to alingn it will be the easiest way to go would be my thought. The Factory does the door first then the front clip but I'm sure they have a trick to that.
    When alinging the door in and out remember that the top hinge is in the middle of the door. When you push in on the bottom the top at the roof is coming out so then you will have to redo the top hinge. Hope that makes sense. If you get the body lined up but the window frame is out some you can bend the top in some to correct that . Yeah it sounds scarry to bend the door but that's how it's done. Just don't bend the door till your sure that you can't adjust the fender in some by changing the number of shims that spaces the fender.
    Wait to install the regulator for the window last. If you have to bend the door a little it will throw the alingment of the window tracks off as a result and you will have to readjust them.