Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door cylinder...PITA!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Aug 24, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Just got finished changing the driver's side door cylinder lock. What a pain! First the arm rest screws were stripped and rusted. Took a good 30 minutes to get them out while partly destroying my arm rest. Then trying to pull the clip off with wire strippers was fun. Went back together pretty smoothly though. Was gonna do the passenger side, but the 100 degree heat told my body otherwise. Another day.... I dread the ingnition switch!

Kris

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like you had fun today.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Yeah, just glad to be working on my truck again. Its been a while since I have. Just makes me wish I had a shop, garage, anything inside. Its hard to shadetree mechanic without shade....or a tree. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kris

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The cylinder in the column isn't too bad. You need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate depresser. The rest is pretty self evident and requires nothing more than hand tools.

Rene

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thats nice to know. The guy at the parts house made it sound like I was dismantling the whole truck.

Kris

6. Confedneck

you dont HAVE to have a steering wheel puller or lock plate depressor, makes it a lot easier, i did an ignition from camaro to van once with a big screwdriver, and a c-clamp..that was kinda fun...

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can McGuyver anything...but having the right tools makes the job that much easier. The puller and lock plate depresser cost me less than $30 for both./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

8. Confedneck

i dont have a compressor but i do have the puller cost my like 9 bucks, actually chevy4wd has my puller...

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to work outside until I built a quonset hut garage on my parents property(not the ideal place,since its not my land,but thats another long story I wont get into!)I stiil do prefer the outdoors since I can see better in natural daylight(my eyes suck,all 4 of em)and I used to drape a blue tarp over the roof and weigh it down with some old tire and prop up the other end with 2 poles.Better than dry roasting in the sun all day,and it was nice if showers came by while working too.Now I have one of those cheap canopies that you can buy at wal- mart for 25 bucks but its only 12 ft wide--a little tight when working on the side of the vehicle(like when welding metal over the giant rust holes /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)Better than no shade,or getting rained on! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif