Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door Hinge Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mybeast, Jan 10, 2001.

1. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

I'm trying to replace the hinges on my Jimmy, the old ones are crack. Question, one of the three bolts that mounts the top hinge to the body has to be removed from the backside. The hinge has a nut tack welded to it and the bolt comes in from the backside. How and were do i access the bolt.
    I know this is stock because the replacement hinge is the same way.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If I am thinking of the same thing you are talking about, I believe that one requires you to remove the fender (or enough to get in there and get your bolt out). When I took my doors off for wheeling last summer, I decided that after reading that, I would leave the brackets on, so I just used black duct tape and taped them down so they wouldn't rattle...but I guess that is no help to you since you need to get it off! ha,ha Look in the Chilton's manual, but I believe that you need to remove the fender for access...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm..didn't think the earlier ones had it, but my '86 does...the upper hinge, where it bolts to the body. Remove the gauge bezel, and reach through where the AC cutout is. There is a hole that you can stick your finger/socket in, and feel the head of that bolt. You just unbolt it from there. Not sure WHY they did it that way, but thats how they did it. Not sure if this is even what you are talking about, I wasn't aware a '79 would be this way.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I concur. There is an access hole under the dash. If you have AC it can be intresting to get in there. Otherwise a socket and extensions get it done. Just follow the bolt through and you will see a hole.

Luke
    84 K5

5. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

Keith, Dorian, and Luke thanks for the help. You guys are right. What a pain in the a$$. What should have been a 10 min deal turns into a small project.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!