Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door hinge pin&bushing??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Jun 5, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

The drivers side door is sagging and my friends at a body shop say that a new pin and bushing kit will fix it. So now I have the kit but I have a question about installing it, do you have to take the door completely off or can you do one hinge at a time? If I do need to take the door off, what precautions should I take to ensure proper alignment when I reinstall it?

So basically I'm looking for a quick" how to" reply.

thanks

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. What I do have is the same problem. Hope someone can help us both!

3. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

where did you get the pin and bushing kit??? how much was it?? thanks.

EODBRIAN

4. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I bought mine at a Chevy dealer for about $10

only to find them later at Autozone for $6 in the help section

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

5. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

6. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

you gotta get the pins out (air hammer helps) then remove the doors. Then you have to beat the old bushings out (if they don't fall out first). Now put in new bushings, then un-bolt the hinge from the door and put that on the other part of the hinge. Now you get to bolt the door back on and re-align it. that's all....This was sent to me by Biggray71 when i posted a question about door sag so if it helps he deserves the credit turns out my door was just misaligned so i didnt have to replace the pins and bushings...hope this helps.Zack

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Mark around the hinge on the door then unbolt the door and remove it.This is easier to get at the pins.Now get a BFH and hit the pins out.knock the bushings out and replace with new ones.Put the hinges back on truck and replace pins(see BFH).Bolt door back on (might want a friend to help here.)I just rest the door on my leg.Use the marks to get the door aligned should be good.If not perfect should be close.If needed align.Brady

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I found it alot easier to remove my doors first. It makes getting the hinges off alot easier. The top hinge has one bolt from the inside by the way. You have to pop out a rubber plug to get to it. I just hack- sawed the bottom portion of the old pin (where it was swedged) and it slid out. There were some cheesy plastic bushing remains in mine. I had to drill out the holes in order to press in the new bushings....keep the hole tight so the bushing press in. After the new pin is in you can either try to "swedge" the bottom of the pin or drill a small hole and put in a cotter key. They may stay in with nothing....you decide. There is no easy way to line it all back up. Try marking your hinges before you take 'em off. Then it was trial and error for me. Don't hammer on the new bushing very much they are very brittle, also mke sure the hole isn't too small. I broke one of my bushings trying to force it in.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

9. Neko H

Neko H Registered Member

This is great info and timely, I am planning on changing out mine pins this week (hopefully if time will allow).

But I would also recommend that you check the door striker for wear while your at it. You can find these at Checker Auto or AutoZone in the same "HELP" part section. Or JC Whitney has them (but of course you have to wait for delivery).

As far as manuals for further info on this I would recommend the Haynes over the Chilton's (better pics).

Neko H
    79 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    (If I'd only win the Lottery, it would be Cherry)

10. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

It is easier to unbolt the door from the hinge then to unbolt the hinge from the truck.See my last post.Brady

11. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Replaced the door strikers on my k5 and it closes soo much easier! =)