Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door interchange...87'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Dec 20, 2004.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just bought a door from a 87 suburban...for my 87 k30...
    I couldn't get it to fit. I can slip my hand in between the window frame and the rear cab pillar...and there is NO gap between the windshield post and the door.

Since I had anouther door...
    I tried that...and had NO problems.

I thought 73-91 trucks used the same door....WTF!!!!

Anyone run into this before??? :eek:

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I put 89 Suburban doors on my 85 K5 without a problem. They were definitely the same.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

There's some factory variance, and then there's post-factory 'tweaking' that happens over the life of the truck ;)

Some of the aftermarket/jobber doors are a poor stamping, and need lots of time to adjust and shim just to make things fit somewhat decent.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Wow, an 87 foot door... thats pretty big.:D

87' hehe

They should fit.

5. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

hey chief its the thread hijacker. go to testforums.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think GM fit the door skin to the pillar or something...
    I'm NOT about to break the spot weld loose...and fit the door skin. :doah:

7. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I Hope There Is No Diff. I Just Picked Up A Pair Of 87 Suburban Rust Free Doors For My 76 I Paid 100 For 2 Complete Doors With Glass And All. I Also Got A Complete 14bff For $70 Off That Suburban Also

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

73-76 are smaller door panels, different length crank window handle shaft lengths too

doors go 73-76 then 77-87(91)

one of those doors may be a repop, check it for stamping brand, look in front of door on backside of skin in middle of door between hinge bolt holes areas, see if a stamp is there, i see alot of them stamped tawian there, they dont fit right, washers are between hinges and door skins on these alot of the times

there is variance 73-up, they dont all fit the same, you have to shim change what you have to if they dont fit right

i have swapped alot of pairs of doors 67-87 years, tons, all by myself everytime, i hang them on my shoulder just right and hold them in the jamb against hinges and start bolts in them and they arent diffcult to adjust, you can go vertical and horizontal at the hinges and make door sit higher or lower in frame, or in or out away or closwer to center length line of truck(suck them in or out tighter or less tight to weatherstripping)

usually yuo only need to readjust bolts twice and have it aligned perfectly once you jhave swapped doors enough times in the past, most recently were the doors off the 81 diesel onto the 81 pickup i sold to a friend, swapped them for him a couple weeks ago, and about to pop off the door son the 82 k10 project truck, we are swapping 86 ones on after they are primed, so we can test fit them and form and dry fit rockers and cab corners up too, then they will be off again, after panels are tacked, then back on to check again, then back off for painting, then back on again and finely adjusted, then fenders back on after painted, then the bed after its painted and assembled,

all to be first totally dry assembled in about a month, going ot go pickup good driver side door from a yard in springfield in next day or two, the tailgate work was started today, bed is ready for paint, and pass side door too, oh and the hood, its ready

good luck