Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

door is rattling and driving me CRAZY..can't figure it out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Jun 9, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

door is rattling and driving me CRAZY..can\'t figure it out

Now that there is some interior parts back inside the truck, my road noise has gotten a bit quieter, and I can hear every squeek and rattle. My drivers side door is rattling BAD...I'm going to try to describe it, so bear with me.

When you open the door, on the truck itself is the little rod that sticks out that the door actually latches too, well right there...its jumping on it. My door is shut tight, wont pull out or push shut or anything like that but when I hit a bump, it jumps up and down. These are my new doors,(reused all the parts inside the door..) and I rechecked the interior latch on the door to make sure it was in the right spot, and all my door bolts are tight, everything lines up correctly, etc.. however when I was playing with the latch thingy in the door, where the sticker would be telling you the GVW etc.. on a new rig, that latch thing has some play in it..the actual mechanism that clamps when you shut the door. Is there some way to get rid of that, or am I going to have to try to find one? The reason I know this is the problem, when I drive slow enough to "lay on the door" with my left arm, side, it won't rattle, only when I let go of the door. It's really buggin me...am I doomed or is there some way to firm up that latch? Maybe a spring or something inside it that could be bad? I don't know, that's why I'm askin you!

Thanks guys!

Brandy /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: door is rattling and driving me CRAZY..can\'t figure it out

Brandy, open the door as wide as you can and grab the bottom of the door and pick it up and down.
    If the door moves considerably, the hinge pin bushings may be shot and need replacing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Wes. It really sounds like the problem rests with your door pins.

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Also, your striker bolt is supposed to have a nylon sleve around the shank. You can tell if it's there becuase if you look closely at the bolt, you'll see the sleeve and it can spin by hand. If this is missing, it'll allow for a sloppy latching and leave a lot of play in there. Just another thing to look for.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is also supose to be a foam rattly stopper on some of the linkages. just a peice of foam about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 1.5 inches long. keeps a little tenssion on the linkages to keep them from rattling. I know there is one on the inside door releas. I don't remeber if there is one on the lock rod. Top of the door pannel the crome ring also is supose to have a little rubber/foam lip to keep it from rattling.
    Somebody else pointed out the nylon peice mission on the striker. Pretty common. I have seen new one in help section

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

BINGO! It does move, considering my size, if I can move it it's obviously beat. Are those something that I can get locally? at a dealer or parts store or are they lmc, junk yard material?

I don't have a nylon sheath thing either...going to fabricate something for that...

thanks guys!
    /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can get those pins and bushings at any parts store, but the main thing to do would be to take the old ones out and take them to the store with you so they don't screw up getting you the correct ones. GM used quite a few different sizes of variations on the pins and bushings. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Doing the job of removing and installing the pins and bushings is best done as a "two-person" job and a floor jack, to hold the door up. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

so it's not as easy as when I replaced the door??? Sounds like I need to wait for Saturday when John's home... bummer, but with the transfer case noise, he "wont" let me drive it anyway! thanks! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Brandy