Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Door is VERY hard to close

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

I installed new weather stripping and i figured that was the problem well its been a few months now and its getting harder and harder every time. I am at the point now where i have to slam it very hard and still sometimes its not going to close. The top of the door closes even with the cab but the bottom sticks out and the door is sagging because the body lines from the door to the cab don't match up and the bolt that the latch hooks on to is looking like an side ways "D" not round but almost in half, because its grinding away. How do i fix this and do i have to take the fender all the way off to get to the door hinges and and will the parts that i need to buy will they be at GM?

Thanks guys [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have the smae problem
    if the door isnt slammed then it will close but will rattle kinda.
    then i took it to a body shop and had them PROFESSIONALLY realligned. worked wonders!!!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

where did you take it to have it PROFESSIONALLY realligned? and how much did it cost ya?

[​IMG]

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I had a sub with the same prob. I had to slam the door a hundred miles an hour for it to close. ANNOYING. See if the pin, the door latch itself closes on, is loose in the door frame. If it is that could be a culprit. Just tighten it up. Also when the door is open see if you can lift it. If you can the door hinges are shot. They all go after a while. When the door closes if the hinges are shot, it has to lift up to lock. Also try some white lithium grease on all the moving door parts....good luck....js

5. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

JimmyDie6.2,
    Yeah i forgot to add that i can lift up on the dor and it moves.

[​IMG]

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I installed new weather stripping about 4 months ago. I had the same problem. I just noticed the other day that both doors are easier to close, and the bottom of the door does not stick out as much. I guess the rubber just needed time to adjust!

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

it was done at any body shop
    mine was at mid town body
    it was like 40$
    i put professional in caps b/c it sucks REALLY bad doing it your self

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

it sounds like your hinges are shot. Drivers side usually goes before the pass side, (more use). Just get yourself a set of hinges, pull off your door, bolt the new ones on, and WALA your good to go. Try yearone for the hinges. SOmeone here must know another place to get them......js

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I replaced the brass bushings in my hinges a few weeks ago for about ten bucks, they were wasted. Anyway they work like a million bucks! I pulled the door off the hinges, knocked out the pins, replaced the bushings and realigned it(with help).

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

10. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Ok i bought new hinges from gm today and i can get all the bolts off except for the there is one that the treads face you. Where is the other side of the bolt for a wrench? do i have to take the fender off and if so does the hood have to come off also?

[​IMG]

11. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You can get the Pin/Bushing kits from Autozone for like $5 or so...buy a six pak and invite a bud over to lend a hand...it sux doing it yourself, but ain't that hard with two people...it's probably gonna take two for the hinges, and I hate buying stuff from the dang dealer...Have fun...JD

12. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i bought new bushings but they ends of the pin where stamped or crimped so i could not pound them out.

[​IMG]